PDA

View Full Version : Sublimation Metals

Brian Robison
03-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Gang,
I've got a piece of sublimation metal from Johnsons and I need to figure out what side is made for the sublimation. You'd think there would be a sticker or something on it. One side looks a little heavier brushed than the other.

bruce cain
03-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Did one side have a plastic film over it and what color did you get?

AL Ursich
03-14-2009, 1:07 PM
I use Johnson Plastic Sublimation Metal and both sides will accept an image. To get the plastic film off just hold the corner of the metal to the underside of your press and it will be easier to remove.

For Sublimation Steel, ID Plates has is in 12 x 24 and 24 x 48. I have some on the way to make magnetic and dry marker boards.

AL

Brian Robison
03-14-2009, 3:28 PM
What about a material I can cut on the laser? Any suggestions?

Mike Null
03-14-2009, 4:52 PM
Brian

Other than a paper thin Rowmark product I can't think of anything you can cut with the laser.

I have not seen any sub. metal that is two sided.

Brian Robison
03-14-2009, 4:55 PM
Sub Mates, I think it is?

Stephen Beckham
03-14-2009, 6:00 PM
Brian,

The mates work well with laser - the only issue I've found with printing sublimation and then laser cutting the logo out is that they slightly shrink after heated. So I laser the logo shapes out and tape it to the sublimation paper versus doing a whole page print out and doing a whole page on the laser.

Brian Robison
03-14-2009, 8:08 PM
How about this then. I'm trying to get a shield shape like the brass plates that I can sublimate. I tried to use my router and an acrylic template with no luck. Any ideas?

Gary Hair
03-15-2009, 2:11 AM
How about the unisub or dynasub hardboard? I use it all the time, cuts well with the laser and subs great.

Mike Null
03-15-2009, 6:08 AM
I think Gary's right. I have used that for clipboards but never tried to cut it.

It's like Masonite with the sub. coating.

Brian Robison
03-15-2009, 9:52 AM
Johnson's carry it? I'll give it a shot.
We'll see what the customer says.

Gary Hair
03-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Yep, you can get it from johnsons. It cuts like butter...

AL Ursich
03-15-2009, 1:37 PM
I needed a shape from Johnson Plastic FRP and made a wood template with my Carvewright. Then using double stick tape cut the stuff on my router table.

I am working on a vacuum sled to hold the FRP in my Carving machine.

Would Laser Foil from Laser Bits in Brass or Gold help your project?

AL

Brian Robison
03-15-2009, 3:42 PM
Not this project. It needs to be full color sublimated.

Gary Hair
03-15-2009, 6:31 PM
I needed a shape from Johnson Plastic FRP and made a wood template with my Carvewright. Then using double stick tape cut the stuff on my router table.

I am working on a vacuum sled to hold the FRP in my Carving machine.

Would Laser Foil from Laser Bits in Brass or Gold help your project?

AL

As much as I hate cutting FRP, I would have laser cut the piece out of hardboard and cut a pocket either with the laser or cnc router. I know it's probably more work that way, but I really don't like working with frp.

Gary