PDA

View Full Version : New Unisaw....pricing?

Chris Allen
03-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Has anyone heard what the pricing will be for the new Unisaw? Is March still the planned release?

Thanks!

Luis Oliveira
03-14-2009, 12:42 PM
I think is 2874.00 to be exact...
http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=412405&FamilyID=63984

Chris Allen
03-14-2009, 4:35 PM
Wow! I was expecting it to cost more than the old one, but, wow!

Oh well, I still want it.

Ron Knapp
03-14-2009, 4:47 PM
I've been waiting also. I did see a price of around $2500.00 for the 36 inch fence model but it looks like other parts are a la cart so it's hard to know what the total price will really be.

I guess we will just have to wait for the offical release as see if there are any deals

John Thompson
03-14-2009, 5:37 PM
Wow! I was expecting it to cost more than the old one, but, wow!

Oh well, I still want it.

You're paying extra for that hand-crafted in Tennessee drawer hanging on the right end under the extention table as it is included with the saw. :)

Sarge..

Luis Oliveira
03-14-2009, 6:07 PM
I notice everything is going up in price some sometimes more than 50% over the old price...

Good we are in a recession. I am afraid this hoby will become so expensive in 2 -3 years from now. The price of metals I guess are going up so fast...
I guess the price reflects the price all manufactures had to pay a year ago. But I see that these are just way more than I was expecting.

I guess it is a combination of new designs and the price that materials will cost in the future.

Ben West
03-14-2009, 6:23 PM
I'm actually a little surprised it is that cheap. I was expecting over $3K.

It's comparable in quality and price to the PM 2000, and it's made in the US. I'd guess their margin at the current prices is very slim.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-14-2009, 6:53 PM
I checked one out at the Delta Booth at the last Woodworking Show near me. I thought it was pretty nice.

When I consider what I paid for my Unisaw 20 years ago, the price seems about right. However, today's competitive import market has skewed the playing field. I'd have to think hard and long to determine if the new Unisaw is worth $1,000 more than similar new riving knife offerings by other importer/manufacturers.

-Jeff :)

Ray Newman
03-14-2009, 6:59 PM
"It's comparable in quality and price to the PM 2000, and it's made in the US."
--Ben West.

Not exactly true. From the Delta web site: "made in the U.S.A. of U.S. and foreign components."

http://www.deltaportercable.com/unisaw/

I saw some early Delta ads that claimed "made in the USA".

Now Delta changed the ad.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say "assembled in the U.S.A. of U.S. & foreign components"??

But that doesn't have the same advertising ring as "made" in the U.S.A.

I just wonder what percentage of the components are actually U.S.A. made??

Ben West
03-14-2009, 8:53 PM
Ray...I had seen that disclaimer too. They supposedly are using Marathon motors, made in the U.S. What % of the other components are US made, I have no idea.

But, it will be assembled in the U.S., which is significant. Is there another hobbyist-level American-style cabinet saw (by hobbyist, I'm excluding Northfield and the like) made in America? I'm not aware of another.

ed vitanovec
03-14-2009, 9:35 PM
Woodworkers supply's website shows the unisaw on hand April 8th. Their price is

$2874.00 for 3hp & 36" fence
$2999.00 for 3hp & 52" fence
$3199.00 for 5hp & 52" fence

The spec's also state assembled in the USA with US and foreign components.

Pat Germain
03-14-2009, 10:24 PM
"It's comparable in quality and price to the PM 2000, and it's made in the US."
--Ben West.

Not exactly true. From the Delta web site: "made in the U.S.A. of U.S. and foreign components."

http://www.deltaportercable.com/unisaw/

I saw some early Delta ads that claimed "made in the USA".

Now Delta changed the ad.

Wouldn't it be more correct to say "assembled in the U.S.A. of U.S. & foreign components"??

But that doesn't have the same advertising ring as "made" in the U.S.A.

I just wonder what percentage of the components are actually U.S.A. made??

For all practical purposes, the saw is made in the USA. However, Delta has to be careful because they can't guarantee their suppliers use 100% made in the USA components. The new Unisaw is more American than a new Ford, Chrysler or Chevy. But if they use a few washers from China, that's "foreign components".

Tom Henderson2
03-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Ray...I had seen that disclaimer too. They supposedly are using Marathon motors, made in the U.S. What % of the other components are US made, I have no idea.

But, it will be assembled in the U.S., which is significant. Is there another hobbyist-level American-style cabinet saw (by hobbyist, I'm excluding Northfield and the like) made in America? I'm not aware of another.

The info on the Delta site is very clear that the trunnion and table are all cast and machined in the USA. And as you note, the motor is a US-made Marathon.

So the important stuff is made in the USA.

This will mean more to some folks than others. But by all accounts it is a good design. Time will tell if it lives up to the high expectations that many have for it.

-Tom in Ventura

Ray Newman
03-14-2009, 11:13 PM
My issue w/ this is there will be & are people who think that this saw is 100% US made. I know of a few guys who were taken back by Delta's 1st claim of made in the USA & the revised/updated disclaimer on the web site. I’m old enough to remember when made in USA meant exactly that.

All in all, it does look like that Delta put some thought into the re-design, esp. the up front blade height & tilt stop adjustments. For those of us who struggled w/ such adjustments on the old style Unisaw, that is a welcome change. Also, the trunnion has a grease fitting for lubrication -- another positive idea. I just wished that the motor cover wasn’t plastic, but in the reality of manufacturing costs vis-a-vis selling price, I understand why a manufacture will/need to cut some corners.

What is in the back of my mind is will the redesign incorporate a SawStop type technology once the SawStop patent expires??

Steve Schoene
03-14-2009, 11:54 PM
When exactly did made in America ever really mean every single part was made in America. There has never been an "official" standard". The only way a company could be sure of that would be to impose DOD style tracing of every part.

By the way, you won't see the complete knockoffs from overseas that was the case before, because now the new saws will have patent protection.

By the way, does anyone know if such saws as the Grizzly 0690, which mention riving knives, are currently UL listed. I didn't see the UL mentioned in the materials for the saw that are on line.

Ray Newman
03-15-2009, 12:56 AM
Steve Schoene: I’ve talked to millwrights, tool dealers, etc., about this issue. IIRC, the consensus was that up until about the early/mid 1980’s made in the USA meant that -- as far as woodworking machinery/tooling. But w/ the importing of then inexpensive machines from Taiwan, it all started to change. & it took a big nose dive when US manufacturers closed or shifted operations overseas for various & sundry reasons.

In the last few years, I recall an article in one of the woodworking magazines (Fine Woodworking or Wood Worker‘s Journal??) that discussed the amount of domestic parts needed so the “made in the USA” label could apply. I believe that the article stated is a US Dept. of Commerce regulation, but I can‘t recall the threshold am‘t. of US made parts.

You mentioned patent protection. What's the time period for patent??

Steve Schoene
03-15-2009, 7:55 AM
You are correct about the Made in USA claim, I stand corrected. To say only that, without conditions, does require that all or substantially all of the product has been made in the United States. Apparently, putting the qualifications "in the fine print" isn't enough either. It is a rule of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). So, since Delta can't receive assurances from Marathon that the motors they manufacture haven't been made with copper wire made overseas they can't just make the unqualified Made in USA claim.

In general, utility patents run for 20 years, design patents for 14 years.

JohnT Fitzgerald
03-15-2009, 8:12 AM
For all practical purposes, the saw is made in the USA. However, Delta has to be careful because they can't guarantee their suppliers use 100% made in the USA components. The new Unisaw is more American than a new Ford, Chrysler or Chevy. But if they use a few washers from China, that's "foreign components".

Exactly. and if one of their suppliers "can't be sure", then they have to be safe and assume there are some foreign components.

So if I get the a saw with a "made in the USA" sticker on it and then put a Taiwanese-made blade on it, do I then need to pull off the sticker?

Ron Knapp
03-15-2009, 2:13 PM
I bought a Kreg Miter Guage and when the box arrived it had a made in america notice on the box. I went to install it and the plastic package with the screws and other mounting hardware had extras of some things and was short some other items. The little package had a made in china label. (a quick phone call a the missing items were sent).

tim walker
04-07-2009, 9:19 AM
Our local dealer, Circle Saw, had the 52" new Unisaw at $2600 for a show special. Tax tag and tile with delivery would have been less than $2900. THat being said, throat plates have to be bought from delta if you want to use their riving knife(the throat is extremely wide so no after market available yet) and a portability system(wheeled) added another $280.

The saw is great looking and I like the fact that inside the cabinet a dust hose runs to just below the blade.

That being said, I had tried to get in on the $2200 PM 2000 deal with the Baldor Motor, but when they said supplies limited they really meant it. So still searching.

Bill White
04-07-2009, 9:58 AM
I'm actually a little surprised it is that cheap. I was expecting over $3K.

It's comparable in quality and price to the PM 2000, and it's made in the US. I'd guess their margin at the current prices is very slim.

Uhhh? I believe that "assembled" in the US is the operative phrase. Ain't nuttin' MADE here anymore.
Bill:o

Alex Shanku
04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
Uhhh? I believe that "assembled" in the US is the operative phrase. Ain't nuttin' MADE here anymore.
Bill:o

Maybe you should read the thread, first.

Yes, PLENTY of things are still made in the United States of America, Bill.

Stephen Edwards
04-07-2009, 10:48 AM
So the important stuff is made in the USA.

This will mean more to some folks than others. But by all accounts it is a good design. Time will tell if it lives up to the high expectations that many have for it.

-Tom in Ventura

Correct. It will mean more to some people than to to others.

"Made in America" is no longer an issue to many people, myself included. It doesn't even mean that the goods are of higher quality anymore. And, even foreign manufactured good provides jobs in America.