PDA

View Full Version : Gloat: finally have a drum sander!

Michael Donahue
03-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I found a Delta 18" drum sander on craigslist and picked it up (with a bunch of 80g and 120g paper) for $340! I know this isn't quite the deal of the century, but I'm happy...I could never have afforded a new sander this size! It was from a guy who was closing up his small woodworking business so it was used (but taken care of) and it runs beautifully. He still had all the manuals and documentation too. I have the stand too but it seemed kind of cheesy. I want to build a cart for the sander and make it mobile otherwise I won't have room to walk around in my shop! :D

This one was made in the US too. That's always a nice plus.

He also had a 20" Grizzly planer with spiral head that made me drool, but that NEVER would have fit in my Stratus! :eek:

keith ouellette
03-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Good for you. An 18" drum sander can do a lot of things for you and can almost act like a slightly smaller version of a 20" planer if you are removing small thicknesses.

Carroll Courtney
03-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Well,I think its a good deal and comes w/ extra sanding paper.Around here they are usually at the 500 plus.Always use the vaccum system on your sander to keep dust from building up on the drums and you should have no problems.--Carroll

Cary Falk
03-14-2009, 1:05 PM
That is a great deal. I gave $450 for my Grizzly 18/36. You will wonder what you did without it. If you find out you don't use it you can probably make a small profit on it.

Loren Blount
03-14-2009, 1:13 PM
Congrats, I recently got my first drum sander and don't know how I got along without it

Loern

ed vitanovec
03-14-2009, 9:44 PM
Congradualtions on your drum sander purchase, that is a really good price. I had one for about 7 years and sold it for $400, bought a larger drum sander. I never had any problems with mine like others complained about. You probably already now this but just in case you don't, these machines work best taking small passes...also dust collection is a must.

Regards!
Ed

Wes Grass
03-15-2009, 1:08 AM
Just curious, does it say 'Made in USA' on the machine itself or on the stand?

Reason I ask, is 10 years ago or thereabouts, Delta came out with their 'new' 8" jointer. Had a huge 'Made in USA' flag label on the base. Was thinking about buying one, and really liked the idea of buying American. But the metal plate riveted to the actual machine said 'Made in China'. So it appeared to me the *base* was made here, and the important bits over there.

Might be perfectly legal, but I thought it was incredibly cheesy and bordering on fraudulent. Swore I'd never buy anything from them again.

But if that's changed, and these are actually built here, I may just change my mind.

Stephen Edwards
03-15-2009, 8:30 AM
Just curious, does it say 'Made in USA' on the machine itself or on the stand?

Reason I ask, is 10 years ago or thereabouts, Delta came out with their 'new' 8" jointer. Had a huge 'Made in USA' flag label on the base. Was thinking about buying one, and really liked the idea of buying American. But the metal plate riveted to the actual machine said 'Made in China'. So it appeared to me the *base* was made here, and the important bits over there.

Might be perfectly legal, but I thought it was incredibly cheesy and bordering on fraudulent. Swore I'd never buy anything from them again.

But if that's changed, and these are actually built here, I may just change my mind.

I agree, I would consider that to be deceptive advertising. Honestly, I don't care where a machine is built as long as it's a quality machine and the country of origin is clearly identified. I'm perfectly pleased with my Asian built Grizzly machines. Of course, they are clearly advertised and labeled as such.

I don't like the cheesy bait and switch marketing technique for ANY product.

Michael, congratulations on your drum sander score! You'll enjoy using it and, as OP have said, wonder how you ever got by without it!

Robert Pasuth
03-15-2009, 9:38 AM
Good find!! Was that found in Connecticut? If so, I was checking that out and just couldn't put that high enough on the "Need" tool list for now. Enjoy.

george wilson
03-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I have that sander,but I,too,think it isn't made in USA. Maybe screwed together in USA,like Toyota cars made here?

I've been very happy with mine. I hope you got the instructions with yours. Easy to get the table exactly parallel with the drum. A right angle screwdriver is mandantory to loosen the screw in the operator's left hand front corner of the conveyor roller adjustment. I don't know why they put a screw where you can't get at it. I mean to replace mine with a hex head bolt,or something I can easily get at then adjusting the roller.

The hood is very good at extracting dust,best I have used. Never could get decent dust extraction from the "thickness planer" type drum sanders I have had.

You won't have trouble with the head deflecting on this drum sander.

Don't waste your time buying sandpaper finer than 120. It won't work.