PDA

View Full Version : Elm that I am sure of!!

Jeff Nicol
03-14-2009, 8:51 AM
Well I am a little scared to post today as my behind is still recovering from the whipping it got on my "Chinese/Siberian" fiasco! But I know what these elm pieces are! Here are a few pics of 3 cored Amereican or White elm bowls roughed out, the big on is 16 1/2" wide. The next a small completed "Siberian Elm" bowl and another American elm piece in the works! All this learning is hard on a broken down semi-old guy!

Still humble but not so much a bumbler today!

Jeff

Jim Kountz
03-14-2009, 9:26 AM
Thats some looking stuff there Jeff, Isnt coring cool!! I love it!!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Wow - sure is some beautiful stuff and well worth the effort you put into it! Love the grain patterns! Looking forward to seeing these finished! Nice work Jeff!

Jeff Nicol
03-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks Jim and Steve!!! I am addicted to wood!!!!

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2009, 1:20 PM
That is some beautiful wood Jeff and some turning beauties. I am not going to say anything but the Elm I just got is the same Elm you got whatever it is. Everyone around here calls them Chinese Elm.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-14-2009, 1:57 PM
Well I am a little scared to post today as my behind is still recovering from the whipping it got on my "Chinese/Siberian" fiasco! But I know what these elm pieces are! Here are a few pics of 3 cored Amereican or White elm bowls roughed out, the big on is 16 1/2" wide. The next a small completed "Siberian Elm" bowl and another American elm piece in the works! All this learning is hard on a broken down semi-old guy!

Still humble but not so much a bumbler today!

Jeff

Hi Jeff, there wasn't any whipping Jeff, it was just a heads up, it was at least meant that way :o

Mixed-up tree names is a common thing, and not only with the introduced trees like Elm, but look at the names for Juniper that everybody calls Cedar, (I could go on for a while here:rolleyes:) pretty hard to change those things, the problem with the Elm is that we do have both, (Chinese and Siberian) and now when someone says as in this instance "Chinese Elm" we don't know what tree we are talking about because of the mix-up :(.

You have some nice pieces there Jeff :D, I always like the look of Elm, the small "zig-zag" pattern in the wood makes it special :), and with the Siberian Elm when using oil as a finish the wood can almost look a lot like Walnut in color :cool:.

You are going to be busy for a while, as now you have some White Elm as well, I suppose they are dying-off around your area as well, they have been doing that around here for better than 40 years, but we still have them coming back, they just don't get very big anymore before they succumb to the DED :(

Jeff Nicol
03-14-2009, 7:09 PM
Hi Jeff, there wasn't any whipping Jeff, it was just a heads up, it was at least meant that way :o

Mixed-up tree names is a common thing, and not only with the introduced trees like Elm, but look at the names for Juniper that everybody calls Cedar, (I could go on for a while here:rolleyes:) pretty hard to change those things, the problem with the Elm is that we do have both, (Chinese and Siberian) and now when someone says as in this instance "Chinese Elm" we don't know what tree we are talking about because of the mix-up :(.

You have some nice pieces there Jeff :D, I always like the look of Elm, the small "zig-zag" pattern in the wood makes it special :), and with the Siberian Elm when using oil as a finish the wood can almost look a lot like Walnut in color :cool:.

You are going to be busy for a while, as now you have some White Elm as well, I suppose they are dying-off around your area as well, they have been doing that around here for better than 40 years, but we still have them coming back, they just don't get very big anymore before they succumb to the DED :(
I know Leo you were not the only one who questioned me. There was not offense taken at all! Just a little more of that not so clear tongue in cheek humor from me! I am always willing to admit I made a mistake, unless I am talking to my darling bride!

Thanks Leo!

Jeff

Skip Spaulding
03-14-2009, 7:58 PM
Jeff, those elm bowls are beautiful. I remember back in the 50s and 60s we had elms lining many of our streets, a few left but like Leo said Dutch elm disease got most of them. You are very lucky to have such great wood and it looks like you are putting it to very good use!