PDA

View Full Version : Mother of pearl medallion inlay source? And, European oak?

Brian Kincaid
03-14-2009, 12:49 AM
I'm in the planning stages of a blanket chest that will match my parents' old German (we think) bedroom set. The set uses many inlaid medallions with mother of pearl in the center of them.

I want to incorporate two of these medallions into the design, but I have no idea where to purchase this type of inlay. I haven't done an inlay before, but I am willing to try (thanks to Dewey). How hard could it be right Dewey? :eek:

Anyway, I have googled for quite a while and the best I can find is a few shops that will do custom design. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, the wood is a little odd to me. It was claimed to be Oak (from Europe) and it is much more tight grained than the oak I am used to working with (Red Oak from NE Texas). Anyone know what types of Oak grow in Europe (I hope this isn't too dumb of a question)? I'd like to learn more about it. To find what might be a good grain match.

Brian

Doug Shepard
03-14-2009, 1:35 AM
Try here. They have hundreds of different premade designs
http://www.luthiersupply.com/productspage.html

Dewey Torres
03-14-2009, 3:22 AM
Brian,
If you want a custom motif and don't have the skills needed to make your own you are best to hire a laser. Then all you will have to do is inlay the motif.

As for the rest of your question...post a few pics.

Thomas S Stockton
03-14-2009, 10:24 AM
I've always been told that you can not laser cut shell, it needs to be done on a cnc router.
I would look for a luthiers forum and ask who they recommend. For raw shell I use www.rescuepearl.com very nice people to deal with.
Tom

Bill Wyko
03-15-2009, 12:27 PM
You can also check out www.inlaceonline.com (http://www.inlaceonline.com) They have other simulated stone that is tool friendly.

Brian Kincaid
04-20-2009, 9:55 AM
This is now an official thread since I'm adding pictures.

Jeff Willard
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Have you checked jewelers supply houses? I've used Rio Grande Supply in New Mexico for MOP in the past.

Terry Brogan
04-20-2009, 5:17 PM
Also Stewart-McDonald.