PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful Even During Cleanup

Mike Goetzke
03-14-2009, 12:11 AM
I have a Unisaw on a mobile base that I pull out when needed. I have a Shark Guard with overhead dust collection. The other night I finished cutting up the pieces for four drawers for a shop cabinet. When I was done I needed to clean up and move the saw back so I could park my wife's car in the garage. When done using the saw I take my 4" DC hose and use a tiny bungee cord to hook it to a piece of angle iron the supports the garage door. It's been like this for 2-years. This time when I went to hook it up the adapter fitting fell off and the hose and one of those wire type hose clamps came swinging down and the bolt head struck me right below the eye. I was lucky - it only left me with a small black/red eye. Came very close to cutting the skin and worse yet less than an inch from my eye. I just took off my safety glasses too - they would have deflected the blow. I went around the shop and found all of the clamps needed a little tightening - maybe they took a little set. If anyone else stores the hose above might be wise to check the clamps.

Mike

Kyle Kraft
03-14-2009, 6:01 AM
Mike, glad you didn't lose your eyesight. Remember folks, don your safety glasses the minute you hit the door and don't take them off until you leave. I have had shrapnel flying around from using a pair of pliers the correct way...not as a hammer!

You only get two eyes and there is too much at stake to put them at risk.