PDA

View Full Version : Why do my CFLs keep burning out?

Brian Elfert
03-13-2009, 10:47 PM
A number of years ago I installed 100 watt CFLs in my living room ceiling fan. I get more light than with the regular 60 watt incandescants I was using.

Any ideas why I keep burning out CFLs, especially recently? I replaced one of the CFLs within the past month and it already burned out. The fixture holds four bulbs and I have been through at least 8 bulbs so far. These are all GE CFLs, but bought at several different times.

No, I have not used the ceiling fan since the last replacement so vibration didn't kill this one. (It is winter after all.)

Jeff Wille
03-14-2009, 12:20 AM
Is the fan/light on a dimmer switch? Even if you are not using the fan, this can still be bad on the bulb.

Are you getting the proper voltage to the bulbs? There might be something in the fan that robs some of the juice.

Either way, you should try buying a dimmable or ceiling fan CFL next time.

I also use GE CFLs. I have never had one burn out, but I've gotten a couple that were DOA. Good luck!

Jason Roehl
03-14-2009, 5:40 AM
How do you use the light? Do you turn it on and leave it on for long periods of time, or is it mostly just on for a few minutes at a time? The former will result in much longer CFL life, the latter will kill them much more quickly.

Chris Kennedy
03-14-2009, 6:48 AM
I don't know if this is what is happening, but I have a couple of CFL's that need to "warm up" like a regular fluorescent at times. I think they were a slightly less than perfect batch.

Cheers,

Chris

David G Baker
03-14-2009, 7:11 AM
I purchased a wall mounted lamp that had the touch on/off/3 way bulb. I did not see the "not for use with CFL bulbs" in very small print on the box. Of course I tried using a CFL bulb. Didn't hurt the bulb, but fried the touch control module.
I have had very good luck with the new daylight bulbs in my ceiling fans (no dimmer and no speed controller other than the pull chain). I have 4 ceiling fans and have not had one bulb go bad. One fan ran 24/7 for over 2 years and the bulbs are still fine.
I purchased a bunch of the CFLs when they first came on the market, they lasted less than a year, none were in ceiling fans.

Brian Elfert
03-14-2009, 7:19 AM
No dimmers or anything fancy like that.

This light fixture is rarely turned on for just a minute or two. It is usually on for at least 30 minutes and often for hours. I have another light fixture with the same GE CFLs that is turned on for just a minute or two multiple times a day and the bulbs have never burned out.

Mitchell Andrus
03-14-2009, 7:44 AM
I use these all over the place. I've got a 75 watt (equiv.) one on the front porch that has been on for five years, never turn it off, NJ weather. Another 3, 40 watt ones inside the house that stay on 24/7 that serve as night lights that are close to 4 years old.

Greg Cuetara
03-14-2009, 8:33 AM
I don't know if this is what is happening, but I have a couple of CFL's that need to "warm up" like a regular fluorescent at times. I think they were a slightly less than perfect batch.

Cheers,

Chris

Every single CFL that I have in the house has to 'warm up'. I thought this was normal since i had never used the CFL's previous to installing them in my house. On a side note I hear that electric companies are having to raise their rates because 'we' are conserving quite a bit of electricity. Starting with the CFL's.

Back to the OP. I have some CFL's that I run for 6-8 hours every single night and have done so for a few years now. Never had one burn out but like I said above they have to be on for 5 minutes or so to 'warm up'. Not a big deal because I keep them on for a long time.

Greg

Chris Kennedy
03-14-2009, 8:56 AM
Every single CFL that I have in the house has to 'warm up'. I thought this was normal since i had never used the CFL's previous to installing them in my house. On a side note I hear that electric companies are having to raise their rates because 'we' are conserving quite a bit of electricity. Starting with the CFL's.

I should clarify -- when I turn on mine, they are never at full intensity right away. I think that is normal. On the other hand, in one bathroom, the vanity has four bulbs, and when I hit the switch, three will turn on and one won't. After a few minutes, the fourth will come on.

I am wondering if the OP has the same issue -- they don't give any light immediately and it looks like it is burned out.

Cheers,

Chris

David Freed
03-14-2009, 9:35 AM
A few years ago we tried CFLs in several fixtures in our house. We were having to replace 1 or 2 a week, and we finally put incandescent bulbs back in. I just assumed CFLs were all hype and no substance and they would soon disappear from the market. A few months ago my wife decide to try the CFLs again. No problems this time around. I have no idea why they work now and not before unless we just happened to get a bad batch the first time. There is about a 1 second delay from when you flip the switch to when they come on.

Jay Jolliffe
03-14-2009, 10:35 AM
I put them in my shop & had a few burn out rather quickly. I took them out because of the humming they were doing.

Jim O'Dell
03-14-2009, 10:53 AM
I put them in my shop & had a few burn out rather quickly. I took them out because of the humming they were doing.

Jay, Jay, Jay....My friend, that is just another savings from using fluorescent lighting. You don't have to use electricity to run the radio!!!! :D:D:D:D:D
I haven't had any of my CFLs hum. Haven't used any in ceiling fans yet because of the funky look on an open globe, but CFLs should be vibration resistant and work very well in fans, in fact much longer lasting than incandescent bulbs. I just wish the spot lights were a little brighter. They don't seem to light up as much of the back yard as the incandescent spots. Jim.

David G Baker
03-14-2009, 12:24 PM
I use the Higher wattage CFL bulbs to take photos with. I do hear a slight hum when they are used in a reflector.
The original CFL bulbs came with a 5 year warranty and I took advantage of it, the ones I have now are great. I have very few incandescent bulbs in use at my place.
I have noticed that my CFL bulbs do not reach full illumination when first turned on but do reach it very soon afterwards.
I have one of the outdoor dusk to dawn security lights that is some kind of fluorescent bulb that lights up my yard amazingly bright. Haven't tried the spot CFLs yet.
I did try the diode bulbs and was very disappointed that the very poor amount light in the ones I bought.

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-14-2009, 2:14 PM
A number of years ago I installed 100 watt CFLs in my living room ceiling fan.

I'm thinking vibration.

Brian Elfert
03-14-2009, 4:39 PM
I'm thinking vibration.

One bulb burned out last week after about a month and I never used the ceiling fan at all during that time since it is winter.

David G Baker
03-14-2009, 4:44 PM
Brian,
The brand of bulb that I use is made by a company called Feit, I have no idea who the company is or where they came from all I know is that I haven't had any problems with their product so far. I buy the bulbs from Menard's.

Peter Luch
03-14-2009, 5:43 PM
I have read somewhere that you must buy special marked CFL's for upside down or sideways use.

That sounds like it could be the reason in the fan.

Aloha, Pete

Pat Germain
03-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I have read somewhere that you must buy special marked CFL's for upside down or sideways use.

Aloha, Pete

Hay, maybe that's why the CFL I installed in my drill press light burned out almost immediately. Then again, so did the track light bulb I installed; and that's what the manufacturer recommends. :confused:

Bob Genovesi
03-15-2009, 7:19 AM
On a side note I hear that electric companies are having to raise their rates because 'we' are conserving quite a bit of electricity. Starting with the CFL's. Greg

Sure, use these new bulb to save energy and lower you monthly electric bill now have the bastards raise the rates! The states are doing the same with the gasoline tax at the pumps! Just keep bending the consumer / taxpayer over a little more.......http://gfxlovers.com/smilies/imgs/angry/angry021.gif (http://gfxlovers.com/smilies)

Lee Schierer
03-15-2009, 8:06 AM

Aloha, Pete

Many CFL's don't like being installed base up. Check the label on the box (Of course the El Cheapo brand may not say anything). The electronic ballast can't take the heat if it is above the bulb.

Brian Elfert
03-15-2009, 10:43 AM
I had the same GE CFLs installed in my bathroom upside down for about three years and none ever burned out except one that failed in the first day or two. I replaced these with regular bulbs when I was trying to sell my house and haven't put CFLs back in yet.

If electric companies are selling less electricity shouldn't they incur less fuel costs and possibly be able to shut down some power plants to save money? Of course, they have no incentive to save money since government guarantees them a profit.

Frank Hagan
03-15-2009, 12:50 PM
I had the same GE CFLs installed in my bathroom upside down for about three years and none ever burned out except one that failed in the first day or two. I replaced these with regular bulbs when I was trying to sell my house and haven't put CFLs back in yet.

If electric companies are selling less electricity shouldn't they incur less fuel costs and possibly be able to shut down some power plants to save money? Of course, they have no incentive to save money since government guarantees them a profit.

Usually its because their "fixed costs" exceed the cost of generating the actual electricity. Our water departments here in California always do that ... we have drought conditions, we reduce our water usage, and the rates have to go up because the costs of maintaining the distribution system is still rising (wages, etc.)

Electric rates will have to rise in the areas served by coal powered electric plants if the cap and trade programs go through. I've read estimates of a 1/3 to a doubling of the rates over the next four years. The stated intent is to reduce carbon emissions, but I think there's also a desire to make alternative energy projects more cost effective.