PDA

View Full Version : Is this a dumb idea?

Clisby Clark
03-13-2009, 9:54 PM
I just finished my mitre saw station last weekend. It's got two outfeed tables six and four feet long. I don't want to paint the AC plywood, but was thinking about using up some older shellac I had on the shelf to give less friction for the stock. What's your opinion? Thanks

Gary Breckenridge
03-13-2009, 10:07 PM
I like white paint because of reflected light and contrast with anything on the tables.:)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Nope, it's a good way to use shelac that is close to expiration. Probably not the most durable choice, but easy to touch up. Go for it!

Karl Brogger
03-13-2009, 10:51 PM
can you shellac over paint?

I used melamine on mine, but I'm habitually lazy.

Paul Demetropoulos
03-14-2009, 3:45 PM
Clisby old man,

I say, using old shellac could pose a sticky problem for you, what? If it has gone bad it won't dry, and you'll find you've got a bit of a nasty mess on you hands, not to mention your extension tables, hello!

Give er a try on a piece of scrap to see if it dries gov, then you can go ahead old bean.

Peter Quinn
03-14-2009, 6:25 PM
Shellac away. no problems. If it wont dry just wipe it with an alcohol soaked rag and move on. I personally don't ever treat work shop tables like furniture. They get the fastest cheapest nastiest finish if any at all. It takes me more time to wait for paint to dry then it does to cut and screw a new top down after it wears out every ten years or so, but a quick splash of shellac might just take less time!