PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a "carpenter calculator"? iPhone?

travis howe
03-13-2009, 8:43 PM
I was in Lowes today and seen a carpenter/constructor that did calculations in feet, inches and fractions...seemed pretty cool and maybe a nice time saver for those of us that aren't math wizards!

Anyone have one of these or one that is online? The one in the store was about $50...I'm sure someone online maybe has one free.

Or iPhone???

Rick Lucrezi
03-13-2009, 9:35 PM
I use mine daily. I have a Construction Master Pro 4065V3.1 made by Calculated Industries. I have two. One in the office and one i keep in my nail bags. I use everyday. The one in my bag has been thoroughly abused and works great. Had it a couple years now. Saved my butt many times. Beware this topic amongst framers could start a bit of a row.

Jim Kountz
03-13-2009, 9:49 PM
Yeah boy! I couldnt survive without my Construction Master Pro. Ive come to depend on it, probably too much but it saves the day. When you layout a rafter or stairs using this thing there is NO fitting and adjusting, its on.
There may be a few knuckle draggers out there who will argue with us Rick, but we know what we got right!!

Karl Brogger
03-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Unless there's a trig function you need. Just memorize the decimal equivelants of fractions, and measuring things in feet is for carpenters, not cabinetmakers for what its worth.

Jim Kountz
03-14-2009, 1:08 AM
Unless there's a trig function you need. Just memorize the decimal equivelants of fractions, and measuring things in feet is for carpenters, not cabinetmakers for what its worth.

Yeah one can do that but this thing makes it so easy, and it will do feet inches decimals fractions, metric and sae. So it makes no difference if you're a carpenter, cabinetmaker or garbage man, if you need to add, subtract, multiply or divide fractions whether it be in feet or inches or both, its a huge help. No converting, no error unless of course you input the wrong numbers.

Craig T. Smith
03-14-2009, 6:30 AM
Travis, I picked up a ProjectCalc Plus at Lowes about three years ago about 19-20 bucks. I've used it a lot with good results. One day my boss was using one so I asked him about it( he's a civil engineer)He said it will do all he needs and if it gets trashed who cares. I know you can convert to decimals and all but its faster to use one of these. Craig

Karl Brogger
03-14-2009, 7:42 AM
I'm just so used to the decimal equivilents from using a Tigerstop, and I've never worked in feet, but I confuse easily.:D