PDA

View Full Version : Blue Spruce Bench Chisels and a Live edge slab

Mark Singer
03-13-2009, 7:40 PM
I just received a wonderful set of the Blue Spruce Bench Chisels. Although I have not really used them , they seem very comfortable. Longer than a LN shorter than a Stanley 720 . They are laying on a live edge piece of walnut given to me by a friend . I have a coffee table in mind with some dovetails and through wedged tenons. I might do a bit of show and tell as I proceed. The slab was warped and paid a visit to Dirk at South Coast sanding. My shoulder has been healing for months now from lifting weights. The final surface I will plane by hand. This is a nice compliment to my Blue Spruce Dovetail chisels.

Bruce Page
03-13-2009, 7:45 PM
Those are very nice. Were they a long lead time item?

I have a Blue Spruce marking knife that I like a lot.

Mark Singer
03-13-2009, 7:47 PM
Bruce,
I got them from Dave Jeske and it took about 3 weeks.

Jim Koepke
03-13-2009, 8:14 PM
If they work as good as they look, then they are fabulous.

jim

John Keeton
03-13-2009, 8:17 PM
Mark, those are beautiful! I love my dovetail chisels from Dave. Did the case come from Dave, as well? Also, he got a fishtail chisel mixed up in your order that I think was to go to me:D You can just send it on if you would!

Mark Singer
03-13-2009, 8:22 PM
Mark, those are beautiful! I love my dovetail chisels from Dave. Did the case come from Dave, as well? Also, he got a fishtail chisel mixed up in your order that I think was to go to me:D You can just send it on if you would!

The case was not from Dave. The fishtail was and it must have got mixed up??:confused:

Jim Nardi
03-13-2009, 8:25 PM
I do love a pretty chisel.

Jim Becker
03-13-2009, 8:49 PM
Those look wonderful, Mark! Works of art to work your art!

David Song
03-13-2009, 11:08 PM
I have serious TAS for Blue spruce long paring chisel.

Danny Burns
03-14-2009, 2:36 AM
. Although I have not really used them , they seem very comfortable. Longer than a LN shorter than a Stanley 720 .

Can you tell us how long they measure. Thanks and hope the shoulder is healed nicely!

Bob Easton
03-14-2009, 8:00 AM
Can you tell us how long they measure. Thanks and hope the shoulder is healed nicely!

The Blue Spruce web site has specs:
http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/tools/index.htm
and
http://www.bluesprucetoolworks.com/cgi/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=BNCH&keywords=all

David Keller NC
03-14-2009, 9:26 AM
Mark - What I'd be very interested in is your impression of the edge-holding ability of these bench chisels after you do a bit of pounding on them in walnut. I have the BS skew chisels and a set of paring chisels - they hold their edges better than anything in my shop, including all of the plane blades and chisels. However, I can't pound on these, so I've little idea whether this superior edge holding ability means they're hard enough to chip if used with a mallet in hard wood.

David Song
03-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Mark and other who have BS chisels, can you share your opinion as to how BS compares to Lie Nielsen?

I have bad case of TAS for BS but I just don't seem to understand what makes them so much more $$$ than L&N's.

Ben Rafael
03-14-2009, 12:05 PM
Mark and other who have BS chisels, can you share your opinion as to how BS compares to Lie Nielsen?

I have bad case of TAS for BS but I just don't seem to understand what makes them so much more $$$ than L&N's.

They look nicer; aside from that I would also like to know what makes them worth more.
Off hand I'd say their collectible value down the line will probably be higher since they are produced in smaller numbers.

Mark Singer
03-14-2009, 2:31 PM
I had an early set of LN chisels and they never held an edge well. I sent them back to LN and they tested them and said the steel was on spec. I use very hard woods and I have many LN tools which are terrific. The chisels were good in every respect except edge holding. I will let you know about these once I use them. My Higher end Japanese chisels rarely need sharpening by contrast

gary Zimmel
03-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Sweet looking addition to the family Mark...

I to would look forward to your opinion of the first test drive.

george wilson
03-15-2009, 4:11 PM
Mark,if your LN chisels don't hold an edge,something is wrong with them. I use A2 steel for making all our punches and dies for our home business. They stand thousands of cycles cutting paper,which is abrasive,and plastic,before they need reground.

A2 can have a soft shell on it if any oxygen got to them while heat treating. the skin can be 1/32" thick if a stainless foil envelope leaked. I don't have inert gas furnaces,so I use the foil method.

I have no way of testing your chisels unless I had them here. Even without a hardness tester,if you try to file the cutting edge with a NEW Nicholson or Grobet 8" smooth cut file,the chisel steel should not cut. If it can be filed,there must be a soft skin.

I have no way of knowing anything from a distance. You could perform this simple test yourself. You don't have to mess up the underside of your chisel. Just file the bevel at a steeper angle than it is ground at. The very cutting edge will file since it is within the soft skin,if the skin is soft. Farther up the bevel,say,1/32" farther up,the bevel will lie in the hardened heart of the chisel,and won't file.

If the whole chisel was drawn at too high a temperature(the drawing temp for A2 to be 60 rockwell C is only 400 degrees), Then,the whole bevel could file.

Another possibility is that the chisels were properly hardened,but missed getting drawn. In that event,the chisels would be hard as glass,and the microscopic edge would be breaking off,because fully hardened steel has very little mechanical strength. Then,the chisels could be drawn to 400 degrees,and they would be fine.No stainless foil required.BUT,it HAS to be done in an accurate knife furnace. Kitchen ovens aren't too accurate,often 75 deg. off. You could ruin them trying to draw them.

Did LN offer to take them back? If so,I'd send them back,and get another set some months later.

I would assume LN would have tested the chisels with a hardness tester,but if they won't hold an edge,something is wrong.

P.S.,from re reading your post,maybe you already returned them.

Mark Singer
03-15-2009, 8:31 PM
George,
I sent them back once, LN said they were ok. I didn't agree and sold them.

Chris M Pyle
08-02-2009, 1:28 PM
hey Mark,
What japanese chisels do you use? Did you get the BS chisels? If so, how do you like them?

This is for everyone, Does anyone have experience with the Imai chisels? Also, does anyone offer the Imai swordsteel chisels? Are they any better?

I'm about to pull the plug on a set of chisels and I am trying to find any info I can

Eric Hartunian
08-02-2009, 2:32 PM
I have two Imai chisels, one is the regular steel (I think white steel), the other is the sword steel. I will say that both are fine chisels. The regular Imai's are probably the best bang for the buck I've seen in terms of J-chisels. The sword steel, however, are a cut above. I am not going to tell you there is a quantifiable difference, but if you like to have tools and appreciate their beauty, as well as function, these are stunning. The contrast between the lighter colored steel, and the dark rosewood handle is just right to my eye. Both tools have great edge retention, and I have not experienced any chipping that some complain about. I tend to work with mahogany, cherry, walnut, and sometimes oak. As a frame of reference, I also own chisels from Shodo, Masayoshi, Akhio Tasai, and Michio Tasai (Akhio's son). The last thing I will mention, is that I think you should consider not buying a set, and instead buying the specific styles and sizes you will use. You may also consider buying different smith's chisels, and see for yourself which you like best.
Sorry that was long winded,

Eric Hartunian

David Keller NC
08-02-2009, 10:17 PM
hey Mark,
What japanese chisels do you use? Did you get the BS chisels? If so, how do you like them?

This is for everyone, Does anyone have experience with the Imai chisels? Also, does anyone offer the Imai swordsteel chisels? Are they any better?

I'm about to pull the plug on a set of chisels and I am trying to find any info I can

Chris - Can't comment on Imai chisels, but do have the BS paring chisels. The steel in these are exceptional - they have needed little or no touching up since I got them a year ago, and I do a lot of work with them. I don't know how David Jeske manages the hardness of these without brittleness, but he does.

From the standpoint of Japanese chisels, you might want to review Tools for Working Woods website - Joel has quite a range of japanese chisels, from relatively inexpensive to artisan (and priced like a Ferrari).

Wilbur Pan
08-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I have a bunch of Imai chisels -- bench chisels, paring chisels, and a couple of mortise chisels. Mine are the regular ones. As Eric mentioned, they give you a huge bang for your buck. I haven't had the chance to use the sword steel chisels, but I remember that one of the differences was that the hard steel layer in the sword steel chisels had a slightly higher carbon content than the regular chisels.

If you call up Hida Tool in Berkeley, CA, they might be able to tell you where to get the sword steel chisels, or maybe even be able to order them.

Mark Roderick
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I think that set goes for something like $455? They are beautiful, and apparently excellent chisels.

Fred Krow
08-03-2009, 1:16 PM
I have the Blue Spruce Dovetail set along with the Fishtail and Skew chisel sets, very impressed with excellent quality and heat treatment.

My preferred chisels for rough work are the inexpensive Matsumura Blue Steel Bench Chisels. Very good edge holding and reasonable pricing from $45 to $70 each.

I have played witht he LN chisels and they just do not feel very comfortable in addition, they have too many complaints of poor edge holding and the socket does not retain the handles very well in changing temp and humidity.

Regards,
FK

Chris M Pyle
10-01-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I went ahead and purchased a couple of imais regular chisels to help me on my workbench. I have a couple other makers lined up that I want to order from and see if I find a favorite. (I will also be ordering at least 1 swordsteel chisel)

Does anyone have any experience with the kawasei chisels (Thebestthings.com?)

Kiyohia?

Kinobu?
Kikuhiromaru?

Kunikei?

Michio tasai?

zinsaku?

These are the ones I have been looking at so far. I will be purchasing as needed but I would love any reports on these makers?

Dan Sink
10-01-2009, 11:41 AM
I just got a set of Ashley Iles Mk2 chisels delivered to me yesterday. I know that is irrelevant to this thread, but since everyone is talking about their new chisels I just wanted to boast about my new purchase. I love the feel of them, but I haven't actually done any work with them yet. But they seem like a really good alternative to BS and LN if you are looking for something less expensive. I got a set of 6 for $150 and I'm pretty excited. (My LN #7 also showed up on the same day. Yesterday was a good day for me.)

Richard Jones
10-02-2009, 5:22 AM
Mark,

Absolutely gorgeous. Hope you enjoy them!!

I look forward to seeing the table as it progresses.

Rich

Chris M Pyle
10-02-2009, 4:45 PM
I'm guessing no one has had experience with these blacksmiths

Brian Kent
10-02-2009, 5:53 PM
1) Beautiful Chisels. Are your Blue Spruce dovetail chisel handles the same wood?

2) I may have a TAS for these also, but I don't know what a TAS is.

3) Congratulations.

Brian

Bob Easton
10-03-2009, 5:58 AM
Hey Mark,
Since you've had those new chisels for about 6 months, can you tell us how well they work and hold their edge? It would also be good to see what has become of that walnut (or did I miss the thread elsewhere?). Lastly, hope the shoulder is better by now.