PDA

View Full Version : latest hollow form critque please

curtis rosche
03-13-2009, 3:06 PM
heres the latest hollow form, it is from wet locust, i torched the inside cause it was a little fuzzier than i liked. as you can see locust is translucent.

curtis rosche
03-13-2009, 3:07 PM
here are the other pics

Ben Gastfriend
03-13-2009, 3:53 PM
I really like the form, Curtis, and looks like you were able to get rid of the tear out on the outside of the form. Just stick some flowers inside to hide the inside tearout. Are you using a flexible shaft power sanding tool? I just got one cheap at a local sears harware, and it works great in these tight situations.

charlie knighton
03-13-2009, 6:00 PM
very nice...

Jarrod McGehee
03-13-2009, 6:47 PM
the form of that is quite nice. good job

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2009, 8:27 PM
Good looking HF Curtis. How did you hollow it? Finish looks good. What was the finish?

Kirk Miller
03-13-2009, 10:18 PM
Everytime you put pics of your work out here I shake my head and wonder why your not out chasing girls or something......Something to give the rest of us newbies to this some time to catch up to your skills.........lol Keep up the good work Curtis.....Those girls are nothing but trouble....lol

curtis rosche
03-14-2009, 6:16 AM
i used my bowl gouge again, i tried using the tool i made to clean up the part right inside the rim, but it didnt work to well so i gave up on that. i use the waterlox origonal finish. i dont have the sander, i just have a hand sanding pad, but i didnt sand the inside at all.

Kirk, there are no girls around in my part of the world, they are onyl at school, and they think it is awsome when i make them or their mothers bowls and stuff

Jim Becker
03-14-2009, 9:48 AM
Attractive piece with a difficult rim, Curtis. Nice work!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2009, 9:56 AM
Very impressive work Curtis! To be honest - I do not believe I could turn anything even close if I was restricted to just using a bowl gouge!!

The outside of the form looks great! No tear out that I can see and a nice smooth surface. Nice work there! The inside is another matter. By burning off the fuzzies - you enhanced the variations in the surface and in effect highlighted any problem areas. No big deal - just something to be aware of for next time.

One suggestion would be to round over the transition area instead of using such a sharp angle in the corner. This one looks cool but is very hard to get to when hollowing. A more rounded shoulder area would be a little more aesthetically pleasing and it would be a whole lot easier to hollow!

Nice work! You are advancing at a fast pace! Be sure to think things through first and be safe while turning! Again - very nice work! Looking forward to your next one!

Nathan Hawkes
03-14-2009, 12:57 PM
very nice work, Curtis. I'm truly impressed. Nice job getting this one thin! Locust in any other form but wet is not fun to turn.....

Burt Alcantara
03-14-2009, 1:54 PM
I love the form and outside but not crazy about the inside. If it were me I would have blackened the entire inside as I like the all black interior look. Most of the time I use acrylic paint to do that.

Burt

curtis rosche
03-14-2009, 2:10 PM
Burt, i was going to completely burn the inside, cause i dont like the look of paint, but i burnt my hand while holding the bowl, and it started to warp really quick from that point, so i stopped so it wouldnt crack. but the patern it made gave me an idea for a future bowl.

curtis rosche
03-14-2009, 2:12 PM
Steve, turning this with a gouge really isnt that hard, you just have to make sure that you arent cutting with the full edge of the gouge for very long, which you can tell by the sound of the vibration. try it it is fun. i do keep the gouge on its side the whole time though, i dont want to risk a catch.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-14-2009, 2:28 PM
You sure are increasing your skills by leaps and bounds Curtisch :D
You made a good looking HF here, and don't be to concerned about the inside look, upgrading your picture taking would show your pieces off better though ;)