PDA

View Full Version : Laser Tile Users!!

Sylvia Mossbrucker
03-13-2009, 12:53 PM
I am doing some bueatiful work on laser tile, but I am a bit concerned with some of the dots on the patterns flaking off. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any sealing or spray coating? I was considering using KRYLON - matte finish coating but am not sure of the way it will last?

If anyone has any suggestions or experience with this kind of process please let me know.

Thanks

Dan Hintz
03-13-2009, 1:40 PM
Sylvia,

Are you saying some of the dots are actually falling off, or you're just concerned about it possibly happening? If it's the former, sounds like you got a bum tile. If it's the latter, I'd say stop worrying about it.

onur cakir
03-13-2009, 2:46 PM
Hi Sylvia,

In a week once or twice i put my hands on lasertile panels (50"x30") dust comes to my hands as small particules. Is it the same problem you got ?

As getting lasertile is so expensive where i'm i didnt experimented on any coatings.

Zeev Goldin
03-13-2009, 4:46 PM
Hey Onur any orders yet?

Duane Parcells
03-13-2009, 5:29 PM
Hi Sylvia

I had the same problem with my laser tiles. I started dry scrubbing each one with the blue pads (not the green ones) that you use to scrub dishes with before engraving.
Some of the tiles have small bumps that flake off during handling and left white spots if they were scraped or bumped after engraving. Scrubbing helped a lot with the problem but if you look closely it didn't totally cure it. I don't know if I scraped the reactive coating off or if it just a quality issue with the tiles. Haven't tried any coatings because I was concerned about them peeling with age.
Duane

Paul Perkinson
03-14-2009, 7:35 AM
We just found a box of laser tile that got misplaced over 2years ago. The variations in how each piece reacted to the laser were amazing! The image could hardly be seen on some and were almost as dark as normal on others. We're guessing that means we need to be pretty careful with shelf life. Fortunately we were just making some accent pieces and going over them again with adjusted settings came out ok. If we had been making a small mural it would have been ruined. Not trying to be an alarmist - just be aware of how long each box has been around.

John Ness
03-14-2009, 5:15 PM
Dear Sylvia,

I have had the same problem, and have held off on offering this item to architects.

A little over a year ago I bought a sample pack and noticed that the larger the tile, the more bumps in the coating. The 4 x 4's were all smooth, but the 8 x 8's were totally unusable. I contacted the manufacturer and he said it is the tile that has the bumps and not dust in the coating.

It seems to me that the coating has the bumps because after engraving the bumps come off and leaves a void in the image. If the image is a large mural and you are viewing from a distance it should not be a problem. But when you are trying to get an architect to approve this process and the samples have bumps and voids, it is difficult.

John Ness

onur cakir
03-16-2009, 3:47 AM
Hey Onur any orders yet?

Hi Zeev, finished half of my stocks. Pictures coming soon.

onur cakir
03-16-2009, 4:00 AM
Dear Sylvia,

I have had the same problem, and have held off on offering this item to architects.

A little over a year ago I bought a sample pack and noticed that the larger the tile, the more bumps in the coating. The 4 x 4's were all smooth, but the 8 x 8's were totally unusable. I contacted the manufacturer and he said it is the tile that has the bumps and not dust in the coating.

It seems to me that the coating has the bumps because after engraving the bumps come off and leaves a void in the image. If the image is a large mural and you are viewing from a distance it should not be a problem. But when you are trying to get an architect to approve this process and the samples have bumps and voids, it is difficult.

John Ness

This topic is going to be interesting. I noticed small white bumps as well.Actually first i thought somebody splashed white paint in exhibition area...

Those bumps can be a problem with architechts but try this, made a sample from clean one and no one will notice them on a mural like 50"x80".

You might remember my first post with lasertiles on decoration exhibition.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101779

For me i had a huge banding problem on some tiles and its much more visible compared to white bumps. 3.000 people mostly architechs saw the tiles and only 1 noticed banding.

Brian Knuckles
07-20-2009, 3:52 PM
Sylvia,

How big is your laser?
Also what speeds are you running it at?

I was told my LaserTile that flaking happens when you burn the tile at too high of a power.

Here is one I did...I just rubbed the image really hard and nothing is coming off.

Let me know