PDA

View Full Version : OKAY - who did that? Corel Help....

Stephen Beckham
03-13-2009, 9:39 AM
I'd swear it wasn't me - but I'm the only one here. I was telling a visitor the other day, there's three things to learn about running a laser. What Corel is going to do; What the laser is going to do; and What I'm going to do.... Most of the time, the first two are pretty consistant - I'm the loose link....

Well, some how in Corel - after a Windows request to restart this morning - my default text is rotated 270 degrees. A neat option that I would have used from time to time - but... NOT RIGHT NOW.... I'm trying to work and every text box I start I have to rotate back to zero. I don't know how it got changed, but whichever one of you it was that did it - change it back - or tell me how I can change it back....:D

Seriously - if anyone could point me in the right direction to change the default back to 0 degrees rotation, I'd appreciate it... I'm going to keep looking for it - but right now - it's hiding behind a sinister smirk...:rolleyes:

Steve Clarkson
03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
after a Windows request to restart this morning -

Steve......did you realize it's Friday the 13th?

I've been having really strange computer problems this morning too.....I too had a windows restart this morning.....and at one point I saw it updating my registry (probably not good!).

I was trying to print out a sheet of business cards this morning and it literally took 15 minutes to send it to the laser (I cancelled out like four other times because it was taking so long, then I sent a one sentence file to the laser and it printed fine, so I did the business cards a FIFTH time and just waited the fifteen minutes!).

I also left a ruler up and crashed my i-beam into it.....

Maybe I should take the rest of the day off........

Mike Null
03-13-2009, 11:33 AM
You guys are beginning to make me feel normal.

Dave Russell Smith
03-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Well, some how in Corel - after a Windows request to restart this morning - my default text is rotated 270 degrees.

Had the same problem on mine this week just did a factory default restore and all is well. Just hold down F8 when starting Coreldraw and it will only take a moment to complete :)

Jacob Hebert
03-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Strangely, mine was the reverse... the computer was going very, very, VERY slow while I was doing a bit of Corel and Publisher work, until it restarted. It still doesn't seem to like Publisher though... and that's Microsoft... :eek:

As for the default rotation, check in Tools -> Options carefully. Many a time Corel has changed one itty bitty thing that I'm used to without me knowing. It's conspiring against me and becoming sentient, I tell you! :eek:

I believe it's in the Character Formatting option as well, but Tools -> Options should have the ability to save it for every job you do.

Paul Brinkmeyer
03-13-2009, 12:10 PM
I have had problems when I have had windows reboot from updates in the past.
Luckily for me, a 2nd reboot has usually fixed this.
Now, whenever windows wants to reboot, I also do it a second time and have not had any problems. I am Knocking on wood as I type this.
(I have almost knocked a hole in the 1" wood desk from knocking so much))

David Fairfield
03-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Steve......did you realize it's Friday the 13th?

I also left a ruler up and crashed my i-beam into it.....

That's a killer. The right side ruler was always a problem for me. I never used it for anything but I'd forget to lower it whenever I needed to change the table and ... crunch! :(

So I just removed it, that was years ago and I never had any need to use it again. Same goes for the auto focus plunger. Good riddance to that little sucker!

Dave

Darryl Hazen
03-13-2009, 2:00 PM
For those who have left the right side ruler up a one time or another....

My solution was to place red vinyl tape the length of the ruler on the under side of the ruler. If you can see the red the ruler is up, if you don't see red, you're good to go.:)

Stephen Beckham
03-13-2009, 4:00 PM
Reboot didn't fix it - can't find it yet in the settings - oh well - it was a great week and this is not going to get me down!

Take care...

Bill Cunningham
03-15-2009, 11:30 AM
Just rotate everything back to where is should be then save it as the default setting.. If you have changed nothing else for the last day or so, then a general 'restore' from yesterday, or the last day everything was working ok should do it.. "Restore" is your friend :D

Tim Bateson
03-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Too many problems here...
I'm going to get some green beer, sit back in my LazyBoy recliner and not touch the laser today. :D Anybody want to join me?

Scott Erwin
03-15-2009, 12:00 PM
Too many problems here...
I'm going to get some green beer, sit back in my LazyBoy recliner and not touch the laser today. :D Anybody want to join me?

You are already 3 behind and it is only 9am here in CA....

Scott Shepherd
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
For those who have left the right side ruler up a one time or another....

My solution was to place red vinyl tape the length of the ruler on the under side of the ruler. If you can see the red the ruler is up, if you don't see red, you're good to go.:)

I cut a thin, long piece of plastic and double sided taped it to the top of the ruler, out of the way. When the ruler is up, so it the long plastic piece, which made it impossible to shut the lid with that thing up.

Oddly enough, the one on my ULS cutting grid doesn't flip up, but I had to take it off because more and more material is coming in at 24 1/2" instead of 24" on the nose.

Carl Sewell
03-15-2009, 3:41 PM
Stephen;

Try this:

To revert the default orientation to horizontal:
1. With no objects selected, switch to the text tool
2. Press "Ctrl+," (Ctrl AND comma)
3. Save settings as default (Tools>Save settings as default)

Ctrl AND period will change it to vertical. You can also use this at anytime when entering text, but be careful if you save your settings as default!!!

Stephen Beckham
03-15-2009, 9:03 PM
Carl - very likely to be the culprit... I had fat-fingered a couple things because I couldn't find the home keys easily Friday morning... I might have inadvertantly Ctrl and .,.,. a couple of times... Thanks...

Jacob Hebert
03-16-2009, 3:21 PM
Stephen;

Try this:

To revert the default orientation to horizontal:
1. With no objects selected, switch to the text tool
2. Press "Ctrl+," (Ctrl AND comma)
3. Save settings as default (Tools>Save settings as default)

Ctrl AND period will change it to vertical. You can also use this at anytime when entering text, but be careful if you save your settings as default!!!

Interesting shortcut... This'll save a lot of time on some of my plaques. Thanks... Even if it wasn't directed at me! :D

Stephen Beckham
03-16-2009, 3:35 PM
Carl,

I agree - nice shortcut. It fixes the rotation, but even after I saved as default it acts weird. I can click three text boxes and then the fourth will go back to 270 degrees...

Oh well, at least I know the short cut for fixing it. Not sure what Corel has up it's rear against me right now, but it's not going to get me down!

I'm going to try the Ctrl F8 restart to see if that does it as well...