PDA

View Full Version : Here is the pile of Chinese elm

Jeff Nicol
03-13-2009, 9:13 AM
Well here is the pile of Chinese elm cut into planks for cutting turning blanks out of. Not sure if I have enough!!!! It got so muddy I had to quit sawing in my yard as the wife was not happy about the yard. So I still have 3 white pine logs to saw up. I got 42 boards out of the 3 that I sawed already with some of them being 15.5 " wide and the rest were 9"-12" wide. Most of it I cut into 1" boards but I left 8 boards 2" thick. If any one is interested in a chunk of the elm let me know in a PM and we can figure something out. I snuck in a picture of some pens I made yesterday too!

Have a great day!

Jeff

Steve Schlumpf
03-13-2009, 9:48 AM
You've got some beautiful wood there Jeff! Should make some great looking turnings!

Good looking pens! Nice variety!

Clarence Sears
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah, Jeff... you probably could use a few more pieces;) Seriously, beautiful wood! Nice gloat....

Leo Van Der Loo
03-13-2009, 1:31 PM
Nice Siberian Elm you have there Jeff, Chinese Elm is quite different, but Siberian is often mistakenly called Chinese Elm, I have a couple of pictures here, so you can see what Chinese Elm looks like :).

Randy Hoch
03-13-2009, 1:38 PM
Jeff,
Have you turned any of this yet? This was a predominant shelter belt tree in the Great Plains back in the day. (I'm originally from South Dakota.) Many of these trees are dying now and standing dead even. I think that farmers probably got these seedling trees from the local Soil Conservation office or County Extension agent, (perhaps for free.??) Some of these rural shelterbelts have an interesting hodge-podge of species. Many of the owners could care less if a standing-dead or severely disease-affected tree is harvested for our purposes.

What I'm wondering is if it's worth my time to grab some Chinese Elm while I'm home over Easter. I've got my eye on some hackberry as it is. One of the photos show quite a few "pins" in the wood, which is of no consequence to me. The grain and color is quite nice. I really like elm generally, except for the smell. Are you coring? BTW, nice pens!

Randy

Bernie Weishapl
03-13-2009, 3:12 PM
Congrats on the wood Jeff and some nice pens.

Randy I would get as much as you can get. Other than the smell the wood is really pretty when finished.

Jarrod McGehee
03-13-2009, 7:48 PM
Other than the smell the wood is really pretty when finished.

Bernie what do you use to finish it? because I'm making a coffee table out of some elm that looks just like that stuff.

Jeff Nicol
03-14-2009, 7:16 AM
Well the proof is in the wood! I just took the tree service guys word for what the tree was! Between Leo and Dave Winer I have been educated on the this trees true identity! I get so many trees some times I just cut them up and go from there!! So this big pile of wood is from a :rolleyes: "SIBERIAN ELM"not the Chinese elm I was led to believe! But the fact still remains it is "MINE MINE MINE!!!!!" Free wood is always good. There is another tree here that is confused with the true chinese elm called the " Lacebark Elm " I think a lot of the department stores that sell trees in the spring tell people bad info and we simple minded wood lovers bite hook line and sinker!!!

Thanks and a lesson a day is good for the soul!! And I thought I was perfect!!! HA HA!!

Humbled again :eek::o:rolleyes:
Jeff