PDA

View Full Version : rub n buff

Mark La Tourette
03-13-2009, 7:48 AM
where is the cheapest place to get this and wht does it work on?

Steve Clarkson
03-13-2009, 8:04 AM
You should be able to find it at any craft store.....and I use it on acrylic.

Stephen Beckham
03-13-2009, 8:10 AM
Mark,

Two questions that will probably yield you a bunch of answers. If you are paying more than $4 a tube, it's probably too much. But - since I've been using my tube of gold now for over a year, it's going to blow the shelf life before I run out of it. With that being said, name anything else you can pay more than $4 even $10 for and get a years worth of use out of it. So how much is too much?

The supplier you choose will not likely be chosen due to price, but more of available colors. I haven't liked any of the colors I got except the gold. I tried Blue, Red, Green and Black - all have been chunky and doesn't stick as well as the Gold - they could be past shelf life - I don't know. You can find gold at any Michaels or Hobby Lobby or other hobby stores for the $4 (my local store only carries four colors). You can get it online in 27 colors from several art suppliers for ~$2 each and then make up the difference in shipping costs(MisterArt is where I got mine).

What will it work on? I use it on ceramic mugs after lasering, glass after lasering and I've tested it on cermark to give it color (someone else's idea - seach for cermark threads).

Mark La Tourette
03-13-2009, 1:06 PM
Thank you for all your quick response. Has anyone tried wwod smoke product

Dan Hintz
03-13-2009, 1:41 PM
Mark,

Are you talking about that Laser Darq product? It's nothing more than laser toner...

Tim Bateson
03-13-2009, 4:06 PM
For wood, the Harbor Freight Powder Coating Paint is much cheaper then Laser Darq and works great on small areas. At just $4.99 for a 16oz jar, it may well last for years. Comes in Black, White, Red, and Yellow (white is $3.99).

I can't find Rub-n-Buff at my local Michaels. I may have to mail order. I did buy several other brands from Michaels, but have yet to try them on glass.

will bohn
03-13-2009, 7:41 PM
You can by a sampler set from the makers of Rub & Buff.
I found them on the internet and ordered the complete set. Some colors do seem to cover much better than others.

Will

John Noell
03-13-2009, 8:35 PM
misterart seems top have al of the rub n buff line. FWIW, Rodney Gold has suggested Gilder's Paste as a beter and cheaper alternative. I am just now trying some but it is very dense and the consistency seems quite different the RubnBuff.

Rodne Gold
03-14-2009, 1:07 AM
Gilders paste is a lot better - more durable , a tone cheaper and comes isn a zillion colours (even gold has like 10 different types)- we work it in with a toothbrush - a turpentine wetted rag removes excess and overspills. You can thin it a bit with turps too.

George Brown
03-14-2009, 8:07 AM
Gilders paste is a lot better - more durable , a tone cheaper and comes isn a zillion colours (even gold has like 10 different types)- we work it in with a toothbrush - a turpentine wetted rag removes excess and overspills. You can thin it a bit with turps too.

I am having a little trouble finding gilders paste, suggestions from anyone?

Dan Hintz
03-14-2009, 8:38 AM
I am having a little trouble finding gilders paste, suggestions from anyone?
Uhm, http://www.GildersPaste.com ?

Google turns up millions of hits, plenty of places to buy from...

Mary Geitz
03-14-2009, 4:22 PM
This is my first post after lurking and learning for quite a while. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I have learned so much.

I am glad that for my first post I am able to share some information. I am a hardcore crafter and find many less expensive alternatives for supplies from the arts and crafts industry. While I have used Rub-n-Buff many times in my craft work, I was not too crazy about it for fill for engraving. Instead I use Delta Stencil Magic Paint cream:

http://www.createforless.com/Delta+Stencil+Magic+Paint+Creme+Variety+Pack+Basic/pid10754.aspx?SI=b1851703-bd8d-4b89-8100-5393942bb789

It is an oil-based paint cream which is easy to use and comes in many colors. I usually find a package of 6 colors for $4-5.00.

I hope this helps!

Mary

Tim Bateson
03-14-2009, 4:48 PM
Mary, On what types of surfaces do you use it and what technique do you use?

Mike Null
03-14-2009, 5:00 PM
Mary

Welcome to SMC. Thanks for the invitation.

Mary Geitz
03-14-2009, 5:06 PM
Hi Tim:

I have used it to brighten granite (mainly white and silver) and on marble if I want to add some color. The individual colors have a protective skin on them which I remove with tweezers. I just basically touch the color and then rub it into the engraving. I find that you can control the amount used much easier than with Rub-n-Buff. Any excess wipes of easily with a paper towel. In the craft world it is a permanent color used on walls with stencils. I'm sure I'll experiment with other materials as I go along.

Margaret Turco
03-14-2009, 5:26 PM
Hi Mary, Welcome! Thanks for the tip!

Mary Geitz
03-14-2009, 6:13 PM
Thank you Mike and Margaret. I hope I can bring some of my crafting skills to the laser world.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-25-2009, 9:42 PM
I hope I can bring some of my crafting skills to the laser world.

You did Mary! While walking through a store yesterday I cut down an aisle that turned out to be craft supplies. I walked past the Delta paint and remembered your post, so I walked back and looked at the colors. They also had the Delta Ceramcoat bottles in about 50 different colors for a little over $1 a bottle, so I picked up a few different colors to try too. A quick swipe of some different colors on a piece of test granite turned out quite nice.

Thank you for posting and sharing your craft knowledge.

Mary Geitz
03-26-2009, 5:41 PM
You're very welcome. Glad I could help.

Mary

Scott Erwin
03-27-2009, 1:47 PM
This is my first post after lurking and learning for quite a while. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I have learned so much.

I am glad that for my first post I am able to share some information. I am a hardcore crafter and find many less expensive alternatives for supplies from the arts and crafts industry. While I have used Rub-n-Buff many times in my craft work, I was not too crazy about it for fill for engraving. Instead I use Delta Stencil Magic Paint cream:

http://www.createforless.com/Delta+Stencil+Magic+Paint+Creme+Variety+Pack+Basic/pid10754.aspx?SI=b1851703-bd8d-4b89-8100-5393942bb789

It is an oil-based paint cream which is easy to use and comes in many colors. I usually find a package of 6 colors for $4-5.00.

I hope this helps!

Mary

Welcome Mary, and thank you for your post...I will have to look for it now and see. Have you tried it on glass to see how it works ? Thanks,

Michael Kowalczyk
03-27-2009, 6:06 PM
For wood, the Harbor Freight Powder Coating Paint is much cheaper then Laser Darq and works great on small areas. At just $4.99 for a 16oz jar, it may well last for years. Comes in Black, White, Red, and Yellow (white is $3.99).

I can't find Rub-n-Buff at my local Michaels. I may have to mail order. I did buy several other brands from Michaels, but have yet to try them on glass.

Hey Tim,
Just ask them where the Gold Leaf stuff is and it is right there, in that area. Unless, of course, they have discontinued it at your location since they knew you might be asking for it ;)