PDA

View Full Version : Drawer measuring tip

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2009, 6:51 AM
When I have a lot of drawers to measure and and using side mount slides, I glue a block on the end of the tape with hot melt that is the thickness of the slides and clearance, usually 1 1/16"on most slides. Saves the math and the possibility of a mistake.

Rod Sheridan
03-13-2009, 7:15 AM
Thanks, that's a good tip.

I started measuring in metric to avoid the arithmetical errors, no fractions, works great, easier to use than the inch sytem.

Regards, Rod.

Bill Huber
03-13-2009, 7:56 AM
I use a Construction calculator and then make a story stick out of some scrap.
I really like the calculator and it helps me a lot on just about everything I make.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100648120

Stephen Edwards
03-13-2009, 8:25 AM
I use a Construction calculator and then make a story stick out of some scrap.
I really like the calculator and it helps me a lot on just about everything I make.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100648120

Good tip Larry! Bill, I don't have the calculator but I do use story sticks for a lot of projects. They're a real time saver and help avoid many mistakes.

David DeCristoforo
03-13-2009, 9:47 AM
I have a stick with a tape rule (the "sticky back" kind used on RAS and chop saw fences) glued to both faces. The ends of the tape ("0") is held back 1"+ from the end. Having the tape on both sides makes it "reversible".

Mike Goetzke
03-13-2009, 9:50 AM
Good tip - I just went through this exercise last night for an under workbence cabinet. I must have checked my calcluations 10 times due to the number of things that need to be included.

Mike

Stephen Edwards
03-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a stick with a tape rule (the "sticky back" kind used on RAS and chop saw fences) glued to both faces. The ends of the tape ("0") is held back 1"+ from the end. Having the tape on both sides makes it "reversible".

Excellent idea! I think I'll "borrow" that one from you.