PDA

View Full Version : The Wood Working Shows and pricing

Josh Rudolph
03-13-2009, 6:43 AM
I am planning on buying a medium shoulder plane in the very near future.

The Wood Working Shows is coming to Chantilly, VA at the end of the month and I am trying to talk myself into going. Every year I talk myself out of going because of not wanting to deal with NOVA traffic and the fact that last time I went, I wasn't all that impressed. Looking at the vendor list, I am still not all that thrilled about going, but would consider going if there is a show discount. From what I have read and what I saw the one time I went, there typically isn't that great of deals there.

Does anyone know if Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen give show discounts at these shows?

As you can tell I have already talked myself out of going again, but would go if I could save a little money on the plane and possible other things.

Thanks,
Josh

Rod Sheridan
03-13-2009, 6:45 AM
Hi Josh, the last show I went to LV were paying the GST themselves, which was a 7% discount, and of course they paid the shipping to your house for your order.

Regards, Rod.

Fred Hargis
03-13-2009, 7:12 AM
They did not at the last 2 I went to (I skipped this year's show at Columbus OH). I'm not even sure the LN booth was there last year, and twhen they were it was more demo and display as opposed to selling. But LV (I think) offered free shipping on orders. Personally I think it would be a waste of time, the reason I didn't go this year was the hugely decreased number of vendors, compared to last years already shrunken list (again, at the Columbus show).

Joshua Culp
03-13-2009, 7:41 AM
I live just north of Fredericksburg and went to the Chantilly show 2 years ago. The only real deals I saw were on factory re-conditioned Rigid power tools. I got a great deal on a 5 inch random orbital sander.

The only reason I would take the time and gas to go to the show is if I wanted the chance to physically put my hands on different brands of tools that I was considering before making a decision. That and just to generally drool over the stuff I can't come close to affording.

The show is also a good chance to see different demonstrations. Seeing a Sawstop demo in person is worth the price of admission. I didn't even feel cheated that the guy used a raw hot dog and not his own finger. The rep asked the crowd if anyone actually owned a Sawstop, then picked one of them and let him do the demo.

John Shuk
03-13-2009, 7:41 AM
I bought a LN plane at a show a few years back. I think I got about 10% off. Better than that was meeting Thomas Lie Nielsen.
I feel like I've gotten some pretty solid deals at shows on different purchases whether it be pen kits or machines.

Gary Herrmann
03-13-2009, 7:47 AM
LV had 10% off and free shipping in STL this year.

Art Mulder
03-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi Josh, the last show I went to LV were paying the GST themselves, which was a 7% discount, and of course they paid the shipping to your house for your order.

What show was that, Rod? I was at the CHW show in Toronto, Feb 28, and the deal was 5% off and free shipping. Oh wait, I get it. You're forgetting that GST was reduced to 5%. It used to be 7% a few years back.

LV had 10% off and free shipping in STL this year.

Well, that would have been a nice discount!

...art

Wilbur Pan
03-13-2009, 10:25 AM
As you can tell I have already talked myself out of going again, but would go if I could save a little money on the plane and possible other things.

If Lee Valley is at the show, there will probably be a discount and/or free shipping offer. Lie-Nielsen isn't exhibiting at these shows anymore, and aren't really offering discounts. When the Woodworking show was here in NJ I got a card from Lie-Nielsen offering free shipping for online orders this month.

But if you're looking to get a hand tool, you may be missing the most important reason to go to the show. It's not the discount. It's the chance to use the tool in person before you get it. Especially for hand tools, how it feels in your hand is one of the most important factors in a tool decision.

Besides, these sorts of purchases tend to be lifetime purchases. If you get the 10% discount on the Lee Valley medium shoulder plane, you'll save $18. If you keep the tool for just 5 years, that's only $3.60 a year you're saving, or a penny a day. If you keep the tool longer, you "save" even less. Plus, this is the sort of thing you can always sell for a good price.

Clint Schlosser
03-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Though I would throw my 2 cents in here. I went to the KC show and I must say there is an atmosphere of great deals while the reality is most of the stuff on sale is not good quality and the deals can generally be had outside the show.

I would whole heartedly agree that the reason to go is to help with the feel of the tool and speak with experts/salesmen about pros and cons. If you are going for a discount stay home and look on ebay.

I would give the example of the WoodWorker II (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000223VQ?tag=demechman-20&camp=0&creative=0&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B0000223VQ&adid=1C91CPJXGGQNTA0RDANF&) at the KC show was on sale for 93$ well that was not as good as the deal on amazon at 83$. Sure the blade sells for 115 regularly. Then you realize they just released a new model and that is what is driving the deal. Always ask yourself why is this "vendor" sporting a sale and generally it is not because they want to be nice to the consumer.

I speak from a lot of experience being in the corporate buying world for fortune 500 companies. Obviously I can not say which ones but "caveat emptor"

Josh Rudolph
03-13-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys. I have actually had my hands on the Lee Valley Plane, but not the Lie Nielsen. I was hoping both would be there so I could compare side by side.

From what you have said, 10% discount and free shipping would equate to about a $25 savings. Considering the $7-9 admission ($2 off with coupon), the 90 minute drive one-way and the traffic that always follows me. It isn't really worth it to me.

The other items I would be looking to buy I can pick up online for most likely cheaper. But would pay a little more to have in hand.

I sure do wish some other shows would come through here more often. This show just isn't what I am looking for.

Thanks,
Josh

Josh Rudolph
03-13-2009, 2:40 PM
Just got an email back from Lee Valley Customer Service.

They will not be selling direct at the show and only taking orders.

They are extending a 10% discount and free shipping as Gary mentioned earlier.

I also sent an email to LN to see if they would be there and ask the same questions. I will post what I hear back.

Josh

Josh Rudolph
03-13-2009, 4:02 PM
Just got an email back from Lie-Nielsen, they will no longer be participating in the shows.

They have begun hosting their own hand tool events, to create a much more
personal environment according to the email.

So it looks like I will not be going and most likely ordering the LV.

Josh

glenn bradley
03-13-2009, 4:38 PM
It's not the discount. It's the chance to use the tool in person before you get it. Especially for hand tools, how it feels in your hand is one of the most important factors in a tool decision.

I would whole heartedly agree that the reason to go is to help with the feel of the tool and speak with experts/salesmen about pros and cons.

I am with Wilbur and Clint. the show gives me the opportunity to get my hands on tools of all sorts, under one roof, that I might never see otherwise.

As to good deals, although that is not what the show is about for me, I have made out a couple of times. We are the last show of the year and many booths are looking to dump their larger machines as opposed to haul them back to wherever they are going.

Last year I saw a guy get an assembled Powermatic 6" longbed jointer into the back of his minivan along with wifey and the kids. The year before that while dad and I were waiting for his DW735 to be brought out the back at the end of the show (just under $400 with the tables and an extra set of knives), several folks were picking up large machines in trailers. It appeared they had come prepared. I don't expect to see that this year; we'll see.

glenn bradley
03-13-2009, 4:40 PM
It's not the discount. It's the chance to use the tool in person before you get it. Especially for hand tools, how it feels in your hand is one of the most important factors in a tool decision.

I would whole heartedly agree that the reason to go is to help with the feel of the tool and speak with experts/salesmen about pros and cons.

I am with Wilbur and Clint. the show gives me the opportunity to get my hands on tools of all sorts, under one roof, that I might never see otherwise. LN and LV are still showing as scheduled for the L.A. show. Maybe not, but I'll hope so.

As to good deals, although that is not what the show is about for me, I have made out a couple of times. We are the last show of the year and many booths are looking to dump their larger machines as opposed to haul them back to wherever they are going.

Last year I saw a guy get an assembled Powermatic 6" longbed jointer into the back of his minivan along with wifey and the kids. While dad and I were waiting for his DW735 to be brought out the back at the end of the show (just under $400 with the tables and an extra set of knives), several folks were picking up large machines in trailers. It appeared they had come prepared.

Tom Henderson2
03-13-2009, 4:50 PM
Just got an email back from Lie-Nielsen, they will no longer be participating in the shows.

They have begun hosting their own hand tool events, to create a much more
personal environment according to the email.

Josh

The LN handtool events are tremendous; they have all their tools out and you can try them to your heart's content. Also they usually have other venders (Hock, Wenzloff, etc) there as well.

And they are FREE to attend.

-Tom in Ventura