PDA

View Full Version : Rob Cosman's "Training the Hand workshop"

Jim Barrett
03-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Is there anyone else signed up for Rob Cosman's workshop this summer up in Calgary? I have signed up along with Rick Erickson...??
From what I hear it is an intense class....lots of bench time....
Regards,
Jim

Rick Erickson
03-12-2009, 10:25 PM
As you've said - I'm in. Can't wait. I'm taking a primer class in May at the Atlanta Woodcraft. He is teaching a 3-day hand tool class on making a shaker step stool. If you are in the Atlanta area I encourage you to sign up. There are only 8 seats available so jump on it fast.

Jim Barrett
03-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Would be great if a couple of more Creekers were going...we could get a 4-plex to share....
I have been accumulating my hand tools...received my LN 5 1/2 HAF today along with the LN 140 skew block plane...wow they are some great planes to go along with my LN #7....also picked up a LV DT saw....very nice as well! I am going up to Vancouver on the 21st and plan on stopping by the LV store.....
Jim

Gary Benson
03-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Hey Jim and Rick,
I am signed up for the course in Calgary as well. I spoke to Rebecca from SAIT today, but have not signed a contract for housing yet. I would be interested in splitting a quad or double if you guys are interested. What about a rental car? No sense in all of us commuting back and forth in individual vehicles.
Can't wait,
Gary Benson
Denver, CO

Jim Barrett
03-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Hey Gary,
Cool glad we have another Creeker attending!!! Rick and I were planning on splitting a "duplex" but we could certainly do a 4 plex...maybe someone else on the creek has signed up as well....we have not pulled the trigger yet on the rooms.
I am driving to Calgary from Seattle so I will have a car to use...I plan on leaving on the 4th of July as it is a 12 hr trip from Seattle. I will probably spend the night someone in-between Seattle and Calgary. So don't rent a car...

Gary Benson
03-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Jim,
Thanks so much for the offer. I guess I will hold off on booking a room for now, and hitching a ride from the dorm to the shop would be great. I'll be happy to pitch in for gas or at least treat for dinner while we are there. We'll see if there is another interested in housing.
Rob lists a bench hook needed for the class, but he uses several different ones on his DVD's, do you know what he means? One for sawing, for holding water stones, one for shooting? I have versions of each, just want to pack efficiently.
Gary

Jim Barrett
03-13-2009, 12:35 AM
Not sure...Gary Zimmel probably knows, he took Rob's class a few years ago, or maybe just give Rob a call....he is great to chat with...
So hold off for a little on the room...hopefully we can all room up together and drop the costs a bit.
Regards,
Jim

Gary Benson
03-13-2009, 12:43 AM
If we can't find another creeker reading this thread, we could shoot Rob an email and see if he is aware of another person that might be interested in splitting the quad.
Maybe we should wait at least over the weekend to see who turns up.
Gary

Jim Barrett
03-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Sounds like a plan....
Jim

John Keeton
03-13-2009, 5:50 AM
You guys sure know how to make a feller envious!! Rick and I PM'd about the class, but I opted to go to the WIA in St. Charles instead.

You will be required to post a review thread after the class!

Rick Erickson
03-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Gary - I talked to Rob about the bench hook and he said don't worry about it. He has several that he made for previous classes. I'm flying from Atlanta so he knew I couldn't easily travel with one.

Jim - I haven't booked the room yet. I'm very willing to go with a 4-room if we can get another person.

John - I hear this class calling your name. You know you can't resist. You might as well just give in so you won't be tormented for the next 4 months.

John Keeton
03-14-2009, 6:16 AM
John - I hear this class calling your name. You know you can't resist. You might as well just give in so you won't be tormented for the next 4 months.Rick, you are certainly right about that! But, with the WIA, and the amount of outlay I spent last year on my tools (waaaay more than I thought before I added it up:eek:), I better pass on this one. I promised I would slow down this year on the spending.

Gary Benson
03-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Ok Jim and Rick, with no additional takers, I'll send Rob and email tonight and see if he knows anyone interested in splitting the quad.
Gary

Rick Erickson
03-15-2009, 11:40 PM
Works for me Gary. I haven't booked a room yet so let me know what you find out.

Jim Barrett
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
OK I posted messages on 3 other woodworking forums as well....
Jim

Gary Benson
03-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Glad you guys are all over this thing. We'll give it a few more days, then go from there.