PDA

View Full Version : need help with table saw problem

Mike Gager
03-12-2009, 9:03 PM
i finally got a dial indicator and made a jig to use it to check my blade and fence alignment to the miter slot. i got my blade aligned to within +/- 0.001 and i got the fence set toed out at the rear 0.002-0.003

everything seems ok

i then ran a board through to test it out and thats where i get trouble. for some reason the board i cut when i hold it against a flat surface or another board there is a gap in the middle of the cut surface. its about 1/32" maybe a little less but you can definetly see light through it. there is also a lot of cut marks on the wood. i tried several cuts all with the same problem. also when i am running the boards through it seems to take more pressure then it should, or at least from what i remember, its been awhile since ive actually used my saw (been too cold!)

the boards i was cutting were about 18" long. i was not using a splitter, and i tried both with a featherboard and without, mounting it before the blade

ive attached a picture of sort of what im talking about, just a quick sketch. the gap is exaggerated

does anyone know what would cause this?

Mike Gager
03-12-2009, 11:47 PM
its a ridgid 3660 with the factory fence

wouldnt a bowed fence show itself when i run the dial indicator along its length?

Steve Rozmiarek
03-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Mike, I think Bob is probably on the right track, you have removed all the other variables, except maybe a loose trunion, but the fence is the most likely suspect. As you push harder than usual, is the fence deflecting or moving any? Personally I don't toe out a fence, but the setting you have is not enough to cause a problem.

Are you sure that the wood is not reacting to the cut and moving on you? If you are using the same stock for all of your test cuts, try a different board. Plywood is best I think. Curious how this turns out.

Mike Gager
03-13-2009, 8:57 PM
hey guys i figured it out. apparently i must have not gotten the trunion bolts tight enough and the blade was off. i rechecked it tonight and it was off 0.015" i got it lined up again made sure the bolts were tight this time and all seems well

Steve Rozmiarek
03-14-2009, 2:19 AM
Glad you got it whipped Mike.