PDA

View Full Version : Another Rocking Horse

Ron Brogan
03-12-2009, 9:02 PM
I have built four of these so far. The first for our granddaughter; the second for a friend's little girl. The last two were donated to our church for raffle prizes (raised total of $1,400). Looks like another this fall since our son now has a son. All are different and all are made from a variety of hardwoods. This one uses Oak for body, Maple for Rockers and details and walnut for saddle and details. Plan was adapted from three commercially available plans plus some of my own stuff. Fun!

David Christopher
03-12-2009, 9:08 PM
Ron, these just keep getting better..nice job

gary Zimmel
03-12-2009, 9:18 PM
Great job Ron.

Being a new grampa of 8 months you have put something on my to do list.

Thanks for the post.

Ron Bott
03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
I think they're great! Awesome job Ron.

Dewey Torres
03-13-2009, 12:16 AM
I like what you did with the face details and the laminated seat. Subtle touches that really make it look great!

It is all in the details!

Craig T. Smith
03-13-2009, 8:26 AM
Ron, That is the perfect project. Beautiful finished project + fun for the woodworker. Very nice, Craig

John Thompson
03-13-2009, 2:15 PM
That is beautiful...

Sarge..

Brian Effinger
03-14-2009, 9:44 AM
That is a beautiful horse, Ron. I'm sure it will be treasured for many years to come.

I've been looking for a good horse plan for my niece. I may have to steal, I mean borrow, this idea. :) Which 3 plans did you use?

Ron Brogan
03-17-2009, 9:41 PM
That is a beautiful horse, Ron. I'm sure it will be treasured for many years to come.

I've been looking for a good horse plan for my niece. I may have to steal, I mean borrow, this idea. :) Which 3 plans did you use?

Thanks Brian. We just moved and some of my plans are still in boxes but I can point you in the general direction.

The overall baseline and geometry of the horses are based on a plan that is available from Grizzly - http://www.grizzly.com/products/Pony-Rocker-Plans/H1179.

The head and eyes are based on a plan that I picked up in the Kansas City Woodcraft Store. Unfortunately that plan is in a box and I haven't seen it again in their store.

I stole some of the saddle and tail approach from another Woodcraft Plan but simplified the appearance -http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=814556&FamilyID=60224.

The actual saddle design, eyes, mane and platform details are mine. As noted, the Grizzly plan provides the geometry and method to assemble the body and legs. I also used that rocker. That horse is very sturdy but I didn't care for the yarn mane and tail; and frankly that poor old horse looks a little downtrodden so I modified the head to be happier. The Grizzly plan will provide a full size pattern that you can transfer to poster board and change to your liking.

Each of the horses I have build have taken about 80 hours including finish but I have two speeds: Slow and Methuselah;). I have used various finishes. The one in the picture was stained with Minwax Natural (used on all hardwoods), a few coats of boiled linseed and two burnished coats of Minwax Paste.

Ron