PDA

View Full Version : Built in Bookcase - Cherry

Adam Carl
03-12-2009, 8:07 PM
I am just about done with this one. It is a built in bookcase made from cherry plywood with a solid cherry face frame. It is pretty big at 7.5 feet tall by 41 inches wide. I still have to make the adjustable shelves but I just could not wait to post it. I need some motivation to keep going. The 3 coats of ply seemed to take forever to apply!

This was a challenging project for me given its size and the fact that I had to design it and determine all the dimensions. It was also the first time I had scribed a cabinet. Oh and I had to move an electrical outlet to one side that was right in the middle of the wall.

One thing I would do differently is use 1/2 plywood for the back instead of 1/4. It looks fine but it has that hollow sound to it when a book its it. I tried to save a buck.

Jerry Todd
03-12-2009, 8:16 PM
What a beautiful addition to your residence. I love cherry. Isn't it great to work with?
The design and workmanship looks great.

Adam Carl
03-12-2009, 8:26 PM
What a beautiful addition to your residence. I love cherry. Isn't it great to work with?

Cherry is an amazing wood. My wife already has thoughts of another bookcase on the other side of the room. There are a few imperfections, a fat 1/16th off here and there but I am happy with it.

Jacob Griffith
03-12-2009, 10:06 PM
Very nice Adam....how about a pic with some books in it to? That's what makes a bookcase come alive!!!

Dewey Torres
03-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Adam,
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Any problems with blotching when you did the finish (or did you get lucky);)?

John Keeton
03-13-2009, 5:35 AM
My wife already has thoughts of another bookcase on the other side of the room.And right there is the problem with doing furniture projects! It just feeds on itself!:D

Nice work! Handling a project that size can be cumbersome, but this one came together very well. You may know the little variances are there, but no one else will ever know - unless you tell them!

Jim Becker
03-13-2009, 2:08 PM
Adam, that's really nice. Very attractive work!

John Thompson
03-13-2009, 2:20 PM
Very nice, Adam. I really like the way you kept the lines clean and let the cherry do the talking.

Sarge..

Jarrod McGehee
03-13-2009, 8:01 PM
I love cherry. Isn't it great to work with?

Yeah, It's nice to work with until it burns :eek: but other than that, I love cherry also.

Bill Wyko
03-13-2009, 8:22 PM
Great Adam. Be sure to give us more pics with the adjustable shelves in it. :D

Adam Carl
03-14-2009, 7:47 AM
Although all the shelves do not have their finish on yet, my wife has begun using the piece. No room for my woodworking books though. I'll have to negotiate that.

Adam Carl
03-14-2009, 7:50 AM
Adam,
Thanks for taking the time to post this. Any problems with blotching when you did the finish (or did you get lucky);)?

I have pretty good luck with cherry. I normally use a poly/tung oil/ linseed oil mix and a couple coats of wax. For this piece I used 3 coats of high build poly for protection and to reduce the finishing time.