PDA

View Full Version : Stroke Sanders

Jack Roberts
03-12-2009, 7:23 PM
I have a small cabinet shop and I am considering buying a Grizzly stroke sander. I think it would be a big help to my sanding process and I would appreciate your thoughts on that and any comments about that particular machine.

Rick Lizek
03-12-2009, 7:51 PM
Haven't used that particular machine but have been using widebelts, stroke sanders and the occasional drum sander for 35 years in factories and small custom shops. I highly recommend a stroke sander over a drum sander any day. Much higher quality level of finishing, faster than a drum sander and very affordable. Drum sanders leave ripples similar to planer knife marks and an additional step of random orbit sanding is required to prep for finishing. A stroke sanded part is ready to go right into finishing.

The Grizzly sander and others like it are called fulcrum pad sanders because of the pad set up. It takes some practice to get proficient at it but the advantage of the fulcrum pad is you can sand all day and not get tired like you would with the hand block pad. I can tell you how to make the best hand block pad as I learned it from a guy who spent 35 years with stroke sanders. Takes a few hours to make it properly.

There's plenty of used stroke sanders out there as well. Picked up a nice Maddison for $700 and installed it in a custom metal shop. Pedestals could be set any distance apart so it was a lot more flexible but it was strictly a hand block type sander.

One of the most versatile sanders you can get and even though they aren't as popular as they were, they should be if folks really could see what you can do with them.

Ed Peters
03-13-2009, 10:00 AM
We have 3 of the Grizzly stroke sanders and couldn't get by without them. They are used hard and they don't complain. An advantage you get with this machine that others may not have is, when you lift the hinged cover on the top, you have access to the sanding belt with a solid steel plate under it to do edge work etc. We have disconnected the pads that came with the machines and strictly use hand held pads. They can be fabricated by taking the foam pad off of a grout float and attaching a 1" thick piece of felt. You will get better control.

Ed

Andrew Joiner
03-13-2009, 3:19 PM
I had a big stroke sander. Large cast iron pedestals. It was great for sanding solid edging flush to veneer panels. I could sand 16'x16" boards by flipping end for end.

One downside was I could only get part of the dust sucked up with my 1HP collector. I assume even with a great big cyclone it still might be a tuff machine for dust. I wore a mask and got the jobs done.
The other " quirk" was I got a big static shock after sanding more than 5 minutes. I tried antistatic sprays and it helped a bit.

I had no wide belt or drum sander experience to compare it to,but my partner who did would rave about the stroke sander being ideal for smaller shops, fast and economical.

Bob Luciano
03-13-2009, 4:48 PM
Take into consideration how much floor space it will take. I got one of thesehttp://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u111/Bobluciano/Model76.jpg
for free from a guy that just wanted the thing out of his small shop. It has seen little use since it's creation in 57 I have it apart until the wiring is done at it's new home

Ed Hazel
03-13-2009, 5:30 PM
Question for Ed

I built a belt sander that uses the Grizz 6 x 186 inch belt and I use it primarily for edge sanding essentially like you describe opening the lid and accessing the top of the belt. My question is how long an edge can you sand on top? and is the steel plate heavy enough to stand up to edge sanding? In the parts breakdown for the g5394 it looks like plate has large holes in it? Does it still have decent dust collection with the lid open? I have looked at this unit off and on for years and now I see the price has been reduced and it has free shipping I dont want to lose the great edge sanding capabilties of the shop made unit but I would like to add the bottom table and sliding platen.

Jack Roberts
03-13-2009, 8:40 PM
Thanks to all for the replies, your words have encouraged me.
I too have been eyeballing this machine for a few years, I am aware of its size and it shouldnt be a problem. I have a small woodworking shop that I work in on the side. I will be retiring from Kraft Foods later this year and start working in my shop (Rhyme or Reason Woodworking) full time. :)

Brian Ross
03-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Jack.. I have sent you a PM.

Brian