PDA

View Full Version : cedar chest

Phil Phelps
07-18-2004, 4:20 PM
Here is a little different style of cedar chest. It belonged to my uncle, which he kept mostly, old baseball clippings from the 1920's. I have had it for some time and just got around to refinishing it. There were mock brass straps on the lid and corners attached with upholstry tacks. I wanted to keep it close to original, but I replaced the straps with real brass. I had a scrap of brass from a job in 1980! ( long live pack rats) Made a different set of legs and found brass nails at a local, "upscale", hardware store. I finished it in lacquer. It's not exactly the design I would chosen. It's a simple box in it's original form. Maybe a beginner would be interested in this type of chest.

Jim Becker
07-18-2004, 7:55 PM
Nothin' wrong with that design, Phil. With the nice brass accents, a simple box is probably a better idea, anyway, and yes, this would most definitely be approachable by even a novice woodworker. The brass and beautiful cedar really looks great!

Lee Schierer
07-18-2004, 8:09 PM
Its about time you surfaced. Good looking refinish job too. Some of those old chests used copper for accent strips. Unfortunately the copper would tarnish with time and turn dark. I think the brass will hold up longer.

Did you ever kill that weed in your yard??

John Miliunas
07-18-2004, 8:48 PM
Phil? Phil who??? :confused: Oh, yeah...THAT guy! :D Like Lee said, 'bout time you showed back up! Hey, and real nice re-do on that chest! It may be simple, but often, "simple" is good. Sometimes, things get made too ornate and people don't even like to use them for what they were intended for. I like it! :) Hey, and don't be a stranger, 'ya hear?! :cool:

Phil Phelps
07-18-2004, 9:13 PM
... and Lee, I never knew about the brass straps. When I pulled out all the tacks, I had to cover them anyway. Buddy has a small sheer and brake. I lacquered the whole stinkin thing. It's good enough for who and whats it's for.

Daniel Rabinovitz
07-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Phil
The chest really looks great.
Very nice!
Daniel :cool: