PDA

View Full Version : My first HF, pedestal, & finial Critique Requested

Brian Brown
03-12-2009, 5:42 PM
All those firsts. The body is made from cedar, and the base and finial are ebonized walnut. Ebonizing was done with india ink. I'm not sure I like the cedar. The few times I have used cedar, I like the heart wood, but hate the sapwood. It always looks dirty. This piece had very rotten sapwood, and I had to turn down a long way to find anything hard enough to use. During that effort to find firm ground, a crack appeared, and I got the "smile". This is about 10" tall, and 4.5 " diameter. Let me know what you think. I am mostly concerned with proportion, and the work on the pedestal and finial, but all comments are welcome. The black parts are not finished yet, and the body has one coat of danish oil.

Harvey M. Taylor
03-12-2009, 5:46 PM
I see nothing wrong or out of proportion myself. Nice. I am practicing finials myself, with a long way to go to catch up with you. Max

David Christopher
03-12-2009, 6:01 PM
Brian, I like the form really well but Im like you the cedar dont fit this form. is it glued up or can you change the cedar ?

Brian Brown
03-12-2009, 6:06 PM
It's not glued, because I am thinking strongly of changing the cedar.

David Christopher
03-12-2009, 6:11 PM
It's not glued, because I am thinking strongly of changing the cedar.

I think if you use the top and bottom and make a center ( same shape ) out of a different wood it will be great

Scott Donley
03-12-2009, 6:52 PM
Brian I think you did a GREAT job, I like it, I even like the Cedar although it might look a bit better if it were a bit darker. Again, great job !

Gary Herrmann
03-12-2009, 7:19 PM
Very well done. Especially for a first time. Try staining or dyeing the cedar. If it were me, I'd want to leave the first one alone. The cedar doesn't detract from the form all that much, IMO. Trying darkening it and see what you think.

Bill Bolen
03-12-2009, 7:31 PM
Great form...Put a bit of finish on that cedar to darken it up...it will look a lot different...then decide...Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2009, 8:38 PM
Brian - this is really nice work. Proportions are always a hard thing to capture and very subjective to personal taste. I think you did well with the height dimensions but think the pedestal and finial would be more appealing if they were not as thick. I like the detail work on everything and that is a very nice shape to the hollow form. Before replacing the cedar - please try a few more coats of oil and see if that doesn't help with the coloring. The cedar has a slight purple/pink coloration at this time but that will darken into a rich looking brown over time.

Overall - very nice work! Other than getting a finish on everything - I would call this one done and move on to the next one! Be sure to sign and date it!

Glad to see you pushing your turning experiences!

Wally Dickerman
03-12-2009, 8:49 PM
Instead of the usual ataboy critique I'm going to be a bit negative. First, I think that the vessel is very good as it is. You've done a good job with the pedestal and finial, but like most of us who get into finials, we tend to turn them too large and heavy at first. I include myself.

They are much too heavy. They tend to overpower the vessel. Finials in most cases should appear to be a bit fragile IMO. Take a look at the finials and pedestals done by Cindy Drozda. (The front cover of the Craft Supplies catalog). Hers are perhaps a bit too fragile for some people but they really are attractive to me. However, IMO some of her pedestals appear a bit too thin to support the vessel.

Wally

Ron Erickson
03-12-2009, 9:00 PM
Brian the details on pedestal and finial are very good. the collar on the top of the cedar is distracting to me I think it would look better with out it. Also the diameter of the finial and pedestal appear to large compered to the cedar, smaller and more delicate may look better. But not every one See's things the same. Ron

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2009, 9:02 PM
Brian for your first you did well. I don't think the cedar is distracting in anyway in my opinion. I think if you thin the base and make the finial more delicate (thinner) it would be just fine. This one I would leave and sign date it for comparison.

Don Carter
03-12-2009, 9:32 PM
Brian:
I like it a lot! I guess these things are subjective as to the eye of the commenter, but I like it. You know, I always wonder how Cindy's first one looked.;)
All the best.

Don