PDA

View Full Version : homemade hollowing tool round 1, (the poor grinder) pics

curtis rosche
03-12-2009, 5:27 PM
well, i broke in the new grinder today, i took one of the files i got from a local ferrier and started to make my own hollowing tool, i am refining it as i go making it better. wish i had bought the coarser wheel for my grinder though, i took off a lot of material with just the 60g wheel, by the end if it had a voice i think it wouldve screamed. next time i will use the big 12inch grinder at school.

i will post pics later, right now i am going to go play with the new tool

Ryan Baker
03-12-2009, 5:46 PM
I wouldn't do that if I were you. Files are too hard and brittle to use for hollowing tools (at least for more than just the tip). Good chance it will shatter with a good catch. To me, it's not worth the risk when you can get mild steel bar from the hardware for a couple bucks and cobalt cutter blanks for under $5.

Chris Barnett
03-12-2009, 6:40 PM
Agree with Ryan..I cautioned that just the other day to an experienced turner who had made entire turning tool from a file. Tip is ok, but not entire tool.

alex carey
03-12-2009, 6:56 PM
I agree with the others. Files are a bad idea. I've never done it but I've read from several sources saying it's dangerous.

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2009, 9:13 PM
Curtis you are playing with a time bomb. I can tell you that a file is not going to work and the first catch it is going to shatter because of it being so brittle. If that is all it does you will be lucky. If not you will be like my brother who was in the emergency room getting 13 stitches in his hand. I had made some also and they went in the trash. Not a wise or smart idea.

Rich Souchek
03-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Curtis,
Files are a high carbon steel and have been hardened and tempered to produce a good file material, and that is not good turning tool steel without changing the temper in the steel.
Suggest you do some reading on heat treating high carbon steel for knife making, becasue this is close to what you are trying to do. Without retempering the file materail to make it less brittle, you are openning yourself to serious possiable problems.
Rich S.

David Drickhamer
03-13-2009, 8:26 AM
I agree with everyone else. DON"T DO IT.
It's always nice to make your own tools but there are better options. Try starting with a piece of O1 tool steel. I use it for knife making and it's one of the easiest to work with and easy to treat. Even untreated it would be a good place to start, you may just have to sharpen more often.

Tony De Masi
03-13-2009, 9:19 AM
Curtis, you need to listen to the advice you've been given here before you get hurt. This is supposed to be a fun hobby and not one where needless experiments on your part could/will cause injury.

Tony

Jeff Nicol
03-13-2009, 9:29 AM
Curtis, The masses have spoken! No hollowing tool out of files! I have one old tool my Dad made many years ago that is an old file, but it is for cutting dovetails in the bottom of the bowl for the chuck to hold. The tool is about 4" long and that is it. So if you need some more input please ask as we would not like to hear another horror story!!

Old and wise,

Jeff

curtis rosche
03-13-2009, 2:58 PM
here are the pictures of the tool, i saw how much it flexed when i went to use it, so i only used it to clean up the portion right around the inside of the rim, i am planning on getting some steel bar and cutting the notch in the end and making a reall hollowing tool. then i can get at what ever angle i want and not have the tool in the way.