PDA

View Full Version : Make or Buy Acrylic Desk Set?

Arturo Villegas
03-12-2009, 5:24 PM
Ey there,

I am trying to figure out how to make these acrylic awards. I was told there might be a few of them if they come out OK (maybe 80pcs). If anyone knows were I can buy them even better.

Thanks!

Mike Null
03-12-2009, 8:47 PM
I haven't seen that set but you can get the components and make them yourself ---if you can get the seal that's in the center.

Mark La Tourette
03-13-2009, 7:59 AM
were do you get the acrylic from?

Mike Null
03-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Many local plastic distributors can cut and polish that for your.

I use a company called ACI Plastics.

Martin Boekers
03-13-2009, 3:34 PM
Classic Medallics is where I get the inserts and wreaths. (JDS handles wreaths and some inserts, I usually get the dye- sub discs or laserable metals if needed)

If they don't hve the ones instock that you need they will manufacture them for you (not cheap though)

The wreaths typically take a 2" insert and pre-cut dye-sub discs are readily available from a variety of distibutors.

Marty

Zeev Goldin
03-13-2009, 4:45 PM
Arturo What is the size of the piece?

Arturo Villegas
03-13-2009, 4:50 PM
The size of the Acrylic is 4"x8".
It slopes from 1-1/4" thick in the back to 3/4" in the front.

I'll probably be sending this out when I find someone.

Dave Johnson29
03-13-2009, 6:30 PM
The size of the Acrylic is 4"x8".
It slopes from 1-1/4" thick in the back to 3/4" in the front.

I'll probably be sending this out when I find someone.

Hi Arturo,

I could machine the slope but it would still need some hand sanding after machining as it will require a large diameter cutter. I have a flat belt sander but not sure how well acrylic will sand with very fine paper as it would have to be done dry.

It would then need flame polishing after final sanding and I do not have a flame polisher.

Looking at the pic, the front edge appears to be perpendicular to the top. The rear edge appears to have been machined too as it is more perpendicular to the base. They probably did that so that an original finished surface was at the top for best presentation. Maybe no flame polishing need for the base???

Dan Hintz
03-13-2009, 8:37 PM
It would then need flame polishing after final sanding and I do not have a flame polisher.
In about a month around 15 of us will, thanks to Jack :cool:

Jack Harper
03-13-2009, 9:06 PM
In about a month around 15 of us will, thanks to Jack :cool:

Let's hope it is that quick. I just checked with the guy to see where we stand and he said they were very busy and he would let me know the completion data ASAP. I might need to send you to China Dan, you know just to oversee the factory for a week or two to make sure they stay on task.

Rodne Gold
03-14-2009, 1:04 AM
You will struggle to make that out of acrylic - buy em ready made.
The only real cost effective way of making em yourself is to cast em in water clear resin if you MUST DIY.

Arturo Villegas
03-14-2009, 1:13 AM
Hi Arturo,

I could machine the slope but it would still need some hand sanding after machining as it will require a large diameter cutter. I have a flat belt sander but not sure how well acrylic will sand with very fine paper as it would have to be done dry.

Looking at the pic, the front edge appears to be perpendicular to the top. The rear edge appears to have been machined too as it is more perpendicular to the base. They probably did that so that an original finished surface was at the top for best presentation. Maybe no flame polishing need for the base???

Well the whole thing is pretty clean looking(even the bottom). I dont really have an idea when it comes to producing any piece of acrylic. It seems you guys are pretty handy when it comes to manufacturing these pieces. By any chance how much do you think (ballpark fugure) something like this would cost me if I was to start from scratch (make the cast) and end up with a slick finish?

Has anyone ever made something from scratch? Just wondering.

Mike Null
03-14-2009, 4:22 AM
Arturo

Rodney is 100% correct. Buy them ready made. Making these yourself will probably produce less than minimum wage income.

Dan Hintz
03-14-2009, 7:55 AM
Let's hope it is that quick. I just checked with the guy to see where we stand and he said they were very busy and he would let me know the completion data ASAP. I might need to send you to China Dan, you know just to oversee the factory for a week or two to make sure they stay on task.
Unfortunately, that's one of the disadvantages to working with the Chinese companies... they work on their own schedule, and since they already have your money, there's no incentive to speed things up (unless business is really slow and they think you'll be a large repeat customer).

Another big disadvantage is the quality control is often nonexistent... if you don't like what they did for you, they'll be happy to do it again... if you pay them again. I tried having some flex PCBs made a few years back. Not only was the quality poor, they changed my design! How stupid (or removed from reality) do you have to be to change a customer's design?!

Anyway, I'm in no rush, Jack, just keeping it in the back of my mind, as well as trying to think of projects I can use it on.