PDA

View Full Version : Paduak? Salt Jar.

Ben Gastfriend
03-12-2009, 3:27 PM
My mother found one of these lidded boxes made out of olivewood in a cooking magazine, and requested I duplicate it for my chef/father. The one in the magazine was around $60, and I think she was hoping I could get the wood for less than that, which, of course, I couldn't. Olivewood pieces of that size are expensive! So we settled on this wood, possibly paduak, which I turned end-grain, and finished with oil and buffed. My dad loves it and keeps it right on the counter so he can have his kosher salt at easy reach. It's about 5x4.5". Critiques welcome.

David Walser
03-12-2009, 3:31 PM
Ben,

That's a lovely turning. I'm sure your dad will enjoy using it and showing it off for years.

How does the lid stay on? I could not see a tennon on either the jar or the lid.

alex carey
03-12-2009, 3:32 PM
nicely done. Olive certainly is expensive. Cool shape.

Mike Golka
03-12-2009, 4:18 PM
Mighty fine job there Ben.

Bill Bolen
03-12-2009, 4:52 PM
Good to see you posting again Ben! Outstanding box. Looks like the interior is sloped downwards? Is this for "pinchability" of the salt?...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
03-12-2009, 5:24 PM
Good to see ya posting again Ben. Beautiful box.

Ben Gastfriend
03-12-2009, 7:26 PM
Thanks for your comments.

1) There is a tenon on the lid.

2) Yes, the inside slopes a bit less steep than normal, to aid in "pinchability" (your word, not mine.)

David Christopher
03-12-2009, 7:31 PM
no critiques needed...thats a beautiful box

Steve Schlumpf
03-12-2009, 8:25 PM
Nice work Ben! Great job on keeping the grain aligned! Also good idea having the interior sloped in order to keep the salt centrally located! I bet your Dad just loves it! Very nice work!