PDA

View Full Version : Carved Birch HF, Now with stand

Bob Hallowell
03-11-2009, 8:33 PM
This is my second carved peice and wow does it take alot of sanding. Please critque and tell me what you like and don't like. It's around 6.5"x8" buffed AO. I used my new mastercarver flexshaft tool. I didn't put a foot on it so the focal point would be the opening. I was going for a flower bud, but was told it looks like a human heart.

I just made a stand please tell me what you think of it.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/bobha8/cb4.jpg
Bob

curtis rosche
03-11-2009, 8:39 PM
it does look like a heart, but it still looks really cool

David Christopher
03-11-2009, 9:01 PM
all Ive got is WOW.....that is beautiful

Bill Bolen
03-11-2009, 9:30 PM
That's a beauty. Really love the pod shape and no foot was sure the right way to go...Bill..

Bernie Weishapl
03-11-2009, 9:37 PM
Bob don't know what to critique on a beauty. I like the form and carvings.

Steve Schlumpf
03-11-2009, 9:50 PM
Bob - very interesting form! I can see the flower aspect of it- as well as the heart! Still - it is pretty cool looking! Nice job on all the carving! Looks like it would have taken a lot of sanding to get everything smooth! Nice work!

Dewey Torres
03-11-2009, 9:59 PM
Could even be a blow fish...

Either way... I think it needs a name. (as every work of art does)

Bob Hallowell
03-12-2009, 5:51 AM
Could even be a blow fish...

Either way... I think it needs a name. (as every work of art does)

Thanks for the kind words guys, I have never named a peice before. What name do you guys think?

Bob

Wayne Bower
03-12-2009, 8:01 AM
That is a beautiful piece. A name would be a good idea, but I haven't any suggestions. :(

James K Peterson
03-12-2009, 8:47 AM
It's wonderful :) I'd love to have that one in my home.

I think you should call it "Budding Heart"

The only way you could improve it would be to add just a little carving (lines) in the body to give an impression of heart chambers/vessels. I don't even like to use the word "improve", because it really is perfect as it is. :D

alex carey
03-12-2009, 12:20 PM
That is a very impressive piece. Beautiful work.

Mike Golka
03-12-2009, 1:22 PM
Hearts don't open on top :eek:. Great peice I like everything about it.:D

Richard Madison
03-12-2009, 1:33 PM
Looks cool Bob. As an experiment you might want to try a simple black ring stand, just to see how it would look. Just something crude, from scrap pine or whatever. Pretty impressive for seond carving.

lynn smith
03-12-2009, 2:21 PM
I think it looks like a flower bud,
laying on its side definitely makes it more interesting.
Good potpourri vessel
What kind of wood?
And is the entire piece hand carved?

Tony De Masi
03-12-2009, 5:13 PM
Beautiful piece Bob. Not sure if I would give it a name though, not really into that kind of thing. It also looks somewhat similar to the cover piece of the new AAW mag.

Tony

Ryan Baker
03-12-2009, 5:49 PM
Cool piece. You must have been watching the Trent Bosch DVD. :)

Bob Hallowell
03-12-2009, 6:26 PM
Thanks all, I haven't seen the aaw magazine but I have been watching the Trent Bosch dvd. I am updating some pics with a wire stand please tell me what you think.

alex carey
03-12-2009, 6:36 PM
I love the stand with the this piece. It is all very elegant. Nice job on everything.

Richard Madison
03-12-2009, 10:37 PM
Bob, I really like it with the stand. Actually the copper (?) wire color looks good with the wood and doesn't distract one's eye from the turning like a big ugly black stand would have. Great idea.

Keith Burns
03-13-2009, 9:01 AM
Nice piece Bob ! I like the stand but I like it without it too.

Jeff Nicol
03-13-2009, 9:34 AM
Bob, It kind of reminds me of some old movie where the pods were full of bad monsters! Very cool and a great inspiration! I have three pieces ready to carve but I keep putting them on hold, I have to do the ordered stuff first! I really like the copper stand too!

Jeff

Bill Bolen
03-13-2009, 11:31 AM
The stand is a perfect fit to the piece. Loved it before...even more so now. The only name that I would like to call it is...MINE...Bill..

Jim Becker
03-13-2009, 2:13 PM
Bob, that piece is outstanding!!

robert hainstock
03-13-2009, 3:01 PM
It is a piece of unusually colored birch, with a artistic approach. Very nice Bob, and especially well done. :D:D:D:D:D
Bob

Bob Hallowell
03-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Bob, It kind of reminds me of some old movie where the pods were full of bad monsters! Very cool and a great inspiration! I have three pieces ready to carve but I keep putting them on hold, I have to do the ordered stuff first! I really like the copper stand too!

Jeff

I ordered the mastercaver flex shaft set, it comes with handpeices one for roughing that holds up to a 1/4 shank, one for fine, and a recipracating handpeice. It is very nice quality and works well. I used carbinde burrs from the bay.

Bob

Jim Kountz
03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Hearts don't open on top :eek:. Great peice I like everything about it.:D

Well we hope not right!!
Bob this is a beautiful piece, I really like it!!