PDA

View Full Version : band saws

chuck young
03-11-2009, 8:17 PM
band saws I am thinking about buying a band saw-used or possible new.
For occasional woodworking is 14 inch the one to get or would a 12 do almost as good.
Appreciate any advice.

chuck

John Shuk
03-11-2009, 8:21 PM
Welcome to the Creek. A 14 inch saw is really a much better choice in my opinion. It offers alot more versatility and will more likely be a "real" tool compared to many of the smaller saws out there. Most of the 14 inch saws also have room to grow through the addition of riser blocks and better guides as you figure out your needs in the future.

John Bailey
03-11-2009, 8:28 PM
A 14" has proven to be the best all-around saw for the majority of folks. It does almost all jobs reasonably well.

John

Kev Godwin
03-11-2009, 9:14 PM
Welcome Chuck!
I agree with the former responses about a 14 inch saw being the better choice. But it also comes down to what you would use it for. I have a 14 inch BS with a riser block but I also have a 10 Inch Delta that I use a lot for detail cuts. The little Delta is set up with an 1/8" blade. I actually got the 10 inch saw after my 14 inch BS.
Kev

CPeter James
03-11-2009, 9:19 PM
There are lots of 14" band saws out there for sale on E**y and CL, both Delta nd the clones. Delta has been making them since the 30s and the old ones are as good or better than the the new ones.

CPeter

Lance Norris
03-11-2009, 9:26 PM
Another vote for a 14" saw to start with. You wont find many accessories for the small saws, but the 14" saw is a standard and there are so many cool things made for them. Then, down the road, if you need(or want) a larger and more powerful saw, you can keep the 14" saw and put a small blade on it and keep a large blade on the big saw. That way you dont have to keep switching back and forth.

george wilson
03-11-2009, 9:31 PM
I have had an old model 14" Delta since 1964.It cuts 12" deep with its riser block. It would take quite a larger saw to have the resaw capacity the 14" Delta with riser block has. I am refurbishing a 20" Delta from the 50's,which is my favorite model,but I like my 14" so much I hate to sell it.

Jules Dominguez
03-11-2009, 9:44 PM
All of the above.

I have a 14" Rockwell (early Delta) trhat I bought new sometime in the 80's, and I doubt that I'll ever buy a larger bandsaw, even if the stock market comes roaring back before I cash in. I've never used a smaller one, so can't comment on them based on personal experience, but if space or budget is an issue, it might be a good choice. A lot of people have posted favorably on them on this forum.

Myk Rian
03-12-2009, 8:14 AM
I found a USA made Delta 14" on CL. If you keep at it and reply early, you can get em for good prices.

chuck young
03-12-2009, 5:30 PM
Many thanks --just what I needed.
chuck

Jack Roberts
03-12-2009, 8:40 PM
I have a 17 inch Grizzly bandsaw I bought mainly for resawing, but I am looking to get a 14 inch for smaller work.

Paul Steiner
03-12-2009, 9:06 PM
As other people have said I would check CL and the classifieds here. Get a 14 you will find it is a more robust piece of equipment. Older (delta, rockwell, and pm) 14s are very good, simple design easy to adjust. Some powermatics have a gearbox and its a nightmare to work with. I have a 12" craftsman at home, I bought it for $20 on CL. But I have 2 powermatics and 1 rockwell at work.