PDA

View Full Version : But I'm not a sign maker.....

Scott Shepherd
03-11-2009, 6:36 PM
Mod's, I know this is more of sign posting, but I'm putting it here because of the conversations recently about how to make money with a laser.

Just thought I'd show some things we did with the laser recently in hopes it might spark some ideas for those looking for different things to get into with their laser.

It's 1/2" thick clear acrylic. I cut the letters, had them professionally painted with a polyurethane paint (had a very specific color it had to match). While they were out, I cut the spacer pieces to put on the back. They wanted them spaced 1/8" off the wall. I used 1/8" black acrylic with a sheet of acrylic tape on one side. I cut holes I could tap as well.

I tapped the holes for set screws. I didn't know what was behind the wall, so I used 1/2" long set screws, which hung out 3/8" after installing them. When the letters came back, I stuck the back pieces on the back of the letters.

I printed a pattern on out plotter that had the layout of the letters, all the hole locations, and then some reference marks so I could easily align and measure to those. I taped it in place and drilled all the holes. Took the template down, put some quick setting adhesive on the back of the letter, stuck the set screws down in the holes and it was done.

I used that method because the wall was curved. Otherwise, I would have just used tape on the back of the letters.

I installed 42 letters, and before I could leave, had orders for about 50 more letters, and since then, have had the order bumped up to about 100 more letters.

Steve Clarkson
03-11-2009, 6:52 PM
Very nice Scott! How big are the letters....and how much are you charging per letter?

Scott Shepherd
03-11-2009, 6:59 PM
About 6" tall each. I didn't charge by the letter, I charged by the entire job, which I'd rather not make public.

Gary Hair
03-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Did you cut them with your laser? If so, how sure are you that the polyurethane won't cause crazing? I was under the impression that anything solvent based would cause crazing unless you annealed the acrylic after laser cutting.

Gary

Mike Null
03-12-2009, 5:47 AM
Steve

Great looking job.

Polyurethane on acrylic? Any sign of problems--have you used it before?

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2009, 7:04 AM
Thanks Guys, it's Matthews Paint and it's made to paint acrylic. It's about $90 a quart and it's a 3 part process to paint acrylic, so the cost gets crazy. It's what most all of your acrylics are painted with on signs. If you go into a hospital and see all the signs that were made using the photopolymer process, they will have been painted with Matthews paint. It dries hard as a rock and this version of their paint is made for nothing but acrylic.

It's too complex for me and requires a paint booth, so I called Matthews and found out who does it in my area and took it to them.

Yes Gary, they were all cut with the laser.

Keith Outten
03-12-2009, 9:25 AM
Steve,

The letters look great. I really enjoy making and installing standoff letters because of the way they look. They are relatively easy to make and customers love them.

I'll have to check to see if there is a local company in my area that can provide the painting service for Mathews paint it would be nice to know. Most of the time I use Corian for letters so I don't have to be concerned with acrylic cracking but there are times that acrylic is the better choice.

Thanks for the tip.

Frank Corker
03-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Now that is one huge sign Steve. I bet you were having a few pulpatations lining it all up.

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2009, 1:35 PM
Not bad at all Frank. The sign was about 10 feet long and I made the pattern, which was done directly from the Corel file where I made it all. So all I did was turn a couple of layers off, send it to the vinyl plotter with a pen in it, and it drew the pattern on a piece of glossy paper. All I did was tape it to the wall, measured to my reference points on each end and in the middle, put a little more tape, drilled the holes, and then stuck the letters in the holes. No more lining up to do.

It really is fairly easy work for those looking for other things to do with the laser. You don't have to install them, but if you could provide items like this to sign shops, you might have some good opportunities.

You certainly don't have to use Matthews Paint either, if you have basic colors, you can do whatever you like. I selected it because I know what the product is and does and last thing I want is any paint related call backs from this job, so I took it out of the equation by using this product.

Here's one more photo.

Frank Corker
03-12-2009, 7:05 PM
Most definitely an excellent job.

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2009, 7:22 PM
Thanks Frank, I appreciate that. If you would skype me right now, you could finish watching this next batch run on the webcam while I go home and enjoy a cold adult beverage.

One thing I will say. Do not ever ever EVER leave stuff like this running without watching it. I mean WATCHING it. I've stopped a flare up from burning the machine down about 3 times. I caught it because when it's running, I stick my webcam on the top glass and open up a video window on my computer that stays on top. That way I can work and watch it run......okay, that way I can surf the internet while it runs :p

If I have other non-desk related work, I make the video larger on the screen and just make sure I'm angled so I can see the video.

Sam Gardner
03-13-2009, 12:24 AM
Good work Scott. Reminds me of my first big sign job, made from 5mm black acrylic, the letters 70cm tall! Took 4 hours installing on top of the scaffold, drilling into the wall. The letters were spaced 18mm off the wall and held with stainless screws. Guess the client wanted the sign to be seen from far above!

Frank Corker
03-13-2009, 5:37 AM
Another good job Sam. I'm afraid getting on a 6' ladder sends me into sweats, getting up there would be no good for me!

Andrea Weissenseel
06-16-2009, 3:52 AM
Scott, they really look great

I don't understand the part with the holes - don't you see them from front ?

I'm having a real good laugh here when I had google translate this thread into German - as I don't think you installed water faucets on them :D

Rodne Gold
06-16-2009, 4:33 AM
Andrea , you fabricate a spacer and a "peg" that gets stuck to the back of the letter - the pegs go into holes drilled in the wall , so you don't see the mounting system.

Andrea Weissenseel
06-16-2009, 4:48 AM
Rodne, thank you - will that peg be glued to the back of the letter, or how is it mounted so it doesn't fall off ?

Stephen Beckham
06-16-2009, 7:10 AM
That way I can work and watch it run......okay, that way I can surf the internet while it runs :p

If I have other non-desk related work, I make the video larger on the screen and just make sure I'm angled so I can see the video.

Scott, ever run dual monitors? Get another (standard) video card or upgrade your current one to a dual output video and put two monitors on there. You can put your video on the second while you continue to work on the primary. Once you get a second, you'll wonder how you ever survived with just one.

Dan Hintz
06-16-2009, 7:32 AM
Scott, ever run dual monitors? Get another (standard) video card or upgrade your current one to a dual output video and put two monitors on there. You can put your video on the second while you continue to work on the primary. Once you get a second, you'll wonder how you ever survived with just one.
Aaaaaand how, brother!

Scott Shepherd
06-16-2009, 8:30 AM
Rodne, thank you - will that peg be glued to the back of the letter, or how is it mounted so it doesn't fall off ?

It's a hole with threads and the peg is a set screw.

Dual Monitors sounds good to me! I'm working towards a new computer before too long and I'll make sure that's a feature to have.

Scott M Smith
06-16-2009, 10:15 AM
i run a dual monitor set up straight off my onboard video. Monitor 1 is a 19 widescreen hooked up via VGA and monitor 2 is my 65" DLP hooked up via hdmi. It works good.

Frank Corker
06-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm the same with dual monitors, I tend to use the other screen to have people who are on Skype on that.

Dan Hintz
06-16-2009, 1:31 PM
Steve,

When you get around to doing the dual-monitor thing, let me know... I can point you in the right direction.