PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on how this raised panel is done?

Brian Penning
03-11-2009, 6:05 PM
I really like the effect this raised panel gives.
But can't figure out how the extra(?) raised step is done along with the corners having a quarter circle removed.
Ideas?
Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/SbhDnmuOUCI/AAAAAAAAAzY/EasDLsTdB3s/s720/IMG_3659.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_eDYZqM9-MJw/SbhDn86v1XI/AAAAAAAAAzg/fxnkykTBB6Q/s512/IMG_3660.JPG

Bill Petersen
03-11-2009, 6:13 PM
I'm thinking you could do that by making a pattern, routing the first level from the top with a guide and flat bottomed bit, and then raise the panel.

Bill

Ryan Baker
03-11-2009, 6:14 PM
A router with a template collar following a template cut to the desired shape would be one obvious way to do it.

Peter Quinn
03-11-2009, 6:39 PM
First you raise the field of the panel profile, the broadest part around the edges. Then you can attach a pattern to the center and create the quarter round cutouts and outline of the panel profile with a small top bearing flush trimmer like a hinge mortising bit. The transition from panel molding to center profile appears to be chamfered, so if you want to create that detail you might need an undersized template to guide a router with a guide bushing and something like a laminate chamfering bit. A scratch stock would also be an option. Lastly there is a cove along the outside edge of the panel that forms the panel tongue that can be created with a plunge cove bit (no bottom bearing) and several passes in a router table, or more easily on a shaper. That would be my process.

Another option would be to create the panel profile and cove detail, then prepare a separate lamination for the body of the center field and glue this to the panel, though this does not appear to be the way your picture was done.

Rob Price
03-11-2009, 8:43 PM
I'm thinking you could do that by making a pattern, routing the first level from the top with a guide and flat bottomed bit, and then raise the panel.

Bill

+1. That's what I would do, that way you don't worry about tipping off the edge into your panel profile.

Alan Schaffter
03-11-2009, 9:57 PM
Another option- CNC. :D

By the way, aren't the mortise pins too close to the edge of the stiles?

Jim Kountz
03-11-2009, 10:31 PM
By the way, aren't the mortise pins too close to the edge of the stiles?

Looks fine to me.

Stan Urbas
03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Looks to me like you could do it with at table saw and a Forstner bit.

Dewey Torres
03-11-2009, 11:44 PM
something like this made from mdf with a mortising bit and a router bushing:

Double stick tape and and an offset base for the router and you are good to go.

Dewey Torres
03-11-2009, 11:47 PM
A router with a template collar following a template cut to the desired shape would be one obvious way to do it.

My version was what Ryan was trying to explain I think.

J.R. Rutter
03-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Here's how I would do it for panels of various sizes, assuming no CNC:

Table saw - Flat topped rip blade. Raise blade to create the small flat field around the center portion. Height = distance from edge to center. Fence = thickness. Run them through (on edge) on all 4 edges. Set up a stop clamped to the fence at the middle of the blade. Raise the blade as needed for the curved corners and push the panel in (on edge) once for each corner.

To continue on the table saw, tilt blade and cut the bevel to raise the panel.

To continue on the shaper or router table, raise as normal.

Sand, sand, sand.

frank shic
03-12-2009, 9:09 AM
personally, i don't think it looks all that great for all that effort!

Frank Drew
03-12-2009, 9:11 AM
The radiused corner cuts could be done fairly quickly by hand with the appropriate carving tools; the slight reveal back from the main panel could be cut any number of ways, most already mentioned, but a good sharp rabbet plane would also work.

David Keller NC
03-12-2009, 9:25 AM
If you want to do it with hand tools, this sort of detail is actually pretty easy - one draws out the semi-circle with a template (could just be a piece of shirt cardboard with the quarter-circle cut out of it), then use an appropriate sweep carving gouge to stab down along the outline. One then uses a #2 to remove most of the waste, and finish up with a router plane and a scraper. Sounds like a lot, but it goes extremely quickly in soft wood.