PDA

View Full Version : White oak ?

Al Willits
03-11-2009, 4:51 PM
Just wondering, any reason why not to use white oak as a butcher block style cutting board on something like a kitchen cart??
tia

Al

Jim Becker
03-11-2009, 4:54 PM
No specific reason, but most folks prefer a finer pored wood like maple, beech or cherry for that purpose.

glenn bradley
03-11-2009, 5:37 PM
A little open pored for me. Food residue can get caught in the tiniest spots. I would prefer maple, cherry or even walnut.

Ryan Baker
03-11-2009, 6:19 PM
Only that I can think of a lot of better things to do with white oak than turn it into butcher block. :) But I agree with what Jim said.

Peter Quinn
03-11-2009, 6:26 PM
Think of the hundreds of tiny crap catchers per square foot. Great place for bacteria to fester and grow. Tough to find a food grade grain filler. And it has a rather unpleasant strong acidic quality that might not impart the finest flavor to food prepared upon it. Not the best choice given other choices available.

Bob Falk
03-11-2009, 6:56 PM
Think of the hundreds of tiny crap catchers per square foot. Great place for bacteria to fester and grow. Tough to find a food grade grain filler. And it has a rather unpleasant strong acidic quality that might not impart the finest flavor to food prepared upon it. Not the best choice given other choices available.

First, I wouldn't use white oak because of the high tannin content....reacts with iron and will turn black. So, a knife left on the cutting board could result in blue/black staining.

Contrary to popular belief, wood cutting boards are much better regarding bacteria growth than plastic. The "extractives" in wood are toxic to many bacteria and fungi (hence the resistance of some woods to decay). Studies have proven this.

I would stick with hard maple.

Bob Falk, USDA Forest Products Lab

Al Willits
03-11-2009, 7:07 PM
Thanks all, started to build it and the wife said she didn't think oak was right....you know I'll never hear the end of this .. :)

Al

george wilson
03-11-2009, 7:13 PM
Years ago,the government issued an edict that all food surfaces of wood had to be replaced by plastic. Later,after everyone complied,they found out wood was cleaner. I remember Dr. Dean O'dell making a theory over the radio that the wood somehow "squished" the bacteria. I expected better than that from him. Anyone should know that it is the tannin and other chemicals in the wood.Well,I think these radio doctors don't want to be bothered with practicing medicine anyway. My wife sent him a question about a health issue I have. His stupid answer was to "be well!!"

Al Willits
03-16-2009, 8:42 AM
Ok, spent the weekend cutting up the hard Maple I bought, wife came out and asked if I could fancy it up a little...ok...I'm thinking a little Cherry would make a nice contrast, and its one of the suggested woods.

Just wondering, I have some Brazilian Cherry left over and would this stuff be ok?
Or do I need just basic domestic Cherry?

tia

Al...who thinks he'll ask before cutting this time...:D