PDA

View Full Version : Wood help/ per earlier post

Doug Jones
07-18-2004, 10:24 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=10679

The above link is my posting to the wood gloat I mentioned yesterday. I thought at first glance that the wood was hackberry (unplaned it looked just like it), but its not after milling some of it. My question is; Does Sassafrass have a very distinct smell when planing, and does the grain pattern look some what like hackberry and oak and coffee tree? Also, is sassafrass real lite in weight like poplar is? If so I believe this is what I have scored on. Also, if this is sassafrass, what kind of projects is it good for? I've never used it and wood like to start doing something with it.
Thanks in advance, Doug

I believe that the 8/4 stuff is poplar, it is way more than I'll ever use so if someone is near me and wants to make the trip over to my place I will share in the wealth. Just come and get it.

Added this as an edit, its not 8/4 its more like 7/4, 5 1/2"-12 1/2" wide X 8'-9' long also have 4/4 up to 10' long. The offer still stands if you want some just come and get it. Just let me know when.

Jim Becker
07-18-2004, 10:29 AM
Doug, don't underestimate how much of that 8/4 poplar you can use...it's excellent to work with and you can also resaw it thinner if you need to. I actually prefer to have my lumber thicker like that as it preserves lots of options, such as legs and panels from the same board with perfectly matching grain and glue lines. (Technique was published in Fine Woodworking a few years ago in an article by Will Neptune)