PDA

View Full Version : usa state's outline for puzzle

Devon Jones
03-11-2009, 2:55 PM
i dont know what i am asking for really but i am trying to make a puzzle of the us states for my son. so if anyone has a good vector outline of them or something that would help that would be great thanks

Michael Doyle
03-11-2009, 3:03 PM
http://digital-vector-maps.com/catalog-us-state-maps.aspx
Here is a pretty good site

Mike Null
03-11-2009, 4:47 PM
Devon

I don't have X4 but I think all the other versions have map clip art. (well X3 doesn't)

Steve Clarkson
03-11-2009, 6:18 PM
Mike, I have x4.......any idea where I would find the maps?

Keith Outten
03-11-2009, 6:58 PM
Devon,

Here is a picture of our System Administrator Aaron Koehl in my shop vcarving an 8 by 4 foot USA map that we got from the Corel Draw 6 clip art page B255 file name usaflat.cdr. The clip art includes every state and a couple complete USA maps like this one. We made this one for a Harley Davidson biker that wanted to stick pins in the map at every location he had been on his bike.

We ran this job late at night...the night before it was promised as I recall. You can bet that Aaron had a cup of coffee right beside him while he was working up a sweat :)

Stephen Beckham
03-11-2009, 8:28 PM
Keith - when did he start sweating - reaching for the coffee? Looks like he's really working it at this angle... Must be the pocket grabbing that's causing the sweat... Maybe the brainpower extended. Actually, if I remember he's deep into studies right now - so he probably loved the break from the books...

Nice picture - someday I hope to have a big toy like that...

Mike Null
03-11-2009, 8:53 PM
Steve

After checking my X3 and not finding it I would guess it's part of the clip art they've removed.

My best collection comes from version 8.

If you happen across an older version though the clip art files were quite extensive. The clip art will work with newer versions of windows though the program may not.

Keith Outten
03-11-2009, 9:21 PM
Mike,

I keep the clipart from all of the Corel Draw upgrades I have purchased on my hard drive. The clip art is not the same with each version of Corel, obviously. I have version 5,6,10,12 and 13.

Stephen, I will admit the ShopBot is a big toy and more fun than any other I have in my shop. Its also a real workhorse and the software available these days has made it possible for old dogs to learn some new tricks :)

Steve Clarkson
03-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Steve

After checking my X3 and not finding it I would guess it's part of the clip art they've removed.

My best collection comes from version 8.

If you happen across an older version though the clip art files were quite extensive. The clip art will work with newer versions of windows though the program may not.

Just my luck to get stuck with x4........

Thanks for looking Mike.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-12-2009, 12:47 AM
While I don't advocated buying software on ebay due to serial number problems and fraud, I would encourage you to surf ebay or other sites in hopes you will find an old copy of Corel that includes the clip art CDs.

In this case, I do agree with Mike ;) that Corel Draw 8 has a great collection of clip art. You cannot use 8 with the newer versions of Scrapbook, but you can easily set up ROMCAT to read the old versions using their pre-built catalogs.

Anthony Scira
03-12-2009, 3:10 AM
Man I wish I had room for such a beast. I think I need a bigger house !

Steve Clarkson
03-12-2009, 5:03 AM
You cannot use 8 with the newer versions of Scrapbook, but you can easily set up ROMCAT to read the old versions using their pre-built catalogs.

Mike,

Do you use Scrapbook alot? With x4 they mention that you can install it, but they don't really promote it.....so I have never used it.

Dave Johnson29
03-12-2009, 11:28 AM
with the newer versions of Scrapbook

Huh, who knew. Scrapbook, I wondered what those other 2 CDs were for. I never even looked at the labels, I figured I would be asked to insert them when needed during the installation. I never got asked so just stuffed them back in the box after it installed figuring they were drivers I didn't need. :rolleyes:

All this time a treasure trove has been sitting on the shelf. :)

Thanks Mike Chance in Iowa. (3 Vowels and a Consonant) ;)

Devon Jones
03-12-2009, 11:54 AM
thanks that seems like it will work for me. as for clip art, i found a torrent for 8,9,10,11, and 12 that im downloading so if anyone knows what torrents are or wants it let me kow i guess

Jerre Griffin
03-12-2009, 2:00 PM
If you are getting the software from a torrent, then it is just like taking your neighbors software and installing it on your computer.

Jerre

Devon Jones
03-12-2009, 2:11 PM
the clip art not software i have corel x4. the clip art torrent would be the same as me posting on here asking for a certain kind of clip art and asking if someone would share theres. which i have seen on here on a daily basis and frank is the one who usually supplies people with the art. so is that stealing too?

Jerre Griffin
03-12-2009, 4:15 PM
Well Devon, you have to use your best judgment but in all likelyhood the torrents are images of the entire Corel clip art disks and they are copywrited. You have to read the fine print that Corel gives you when you buy their programs, but you almost never have the right to sell or otherwise give away the images and sometimes it also states you can not use them for commercial enterprises. I believe most if not all of the images and files posted here are original works posted by the copywrite holder and they give permission for their use. I am sure posting of copywrited material on this list is prohibited without permission of the owner.

Jerre

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2009, 4:43 PM
i found a torrent for 8,9,10,11, and 12 that im downloading so if anyone knows what torrents are or wants it let me kow i guess

Anyone want a fast track to a virus, try out downloading from torrents. It's documented as being one of the highest percentages of infections out there.

Not for the faint hearted.

Devon Jones
03-12-2009, 4:55 PM
well i have been dealing with ftp's and torrents sense about the time the dreamcast came out and i have never had a problem with them. everything is ver by someone and then released. if you are just going to a site and clicking away with out reading nfo's or what others have said about it im sure torrents are as safe as limewire is. i have over 4 tb of stuff i have downloaded from torrents and not one bad one yet. i was just letting everyone know that if they KNEW what torrents were i had a few for clip art thats it what you do with it after that is up to you. the dreamcast came out when i was in hs i believe 98 or 99..................

Jerre Griffin
03-12-2009, 5:05 PM
Well, we have gone really afar form the original topic. I have a small graphics based business and have bought over 50K of software to use over the past 10 years. I would never jeporadize/risk my business by using pirated software. There are too many people on the wrong side of the bars that have done that. I would also be very careful on a public forum. This stuff is out there forever and you never know where the info may wind up. I wish you luck in life.

Jerre

Scott Shepherd
03-12-2009, 5:40 PM
Devon, I'm not suggestion you should or shouldn't use them, but simply placing a mental note here for people who are not computer savvy who might read this and think it sounds great. There is no dispute in the virus world that a very large percentage of viruses start from torrent sites. In fact, many viruses create a torrent site from your computer and then download even more, along with passing along those to others.

If you do not know what you are doing, be very careful on torrent sites.

I'm also not so sure I'd come on a public forum and brag about how many years I've been stealing software. Now I know why my software costs so much :)

Devon Jones
03-12-2009, 7:24 PM
i was not brag'n about stealing anything i said that i have been use'n ftp's and torrents for over ten years and that they are safe if you are smart and know what you were doing. as i have stated before money is not a prob for me i have enough to buy what i want and have it be legit for my work. like i said i was just saying if there was anyone that wanted the clip art that people were talking about there is a torrent for it cuz that i was aware of they dont sell corel 8 or the clip art for it anymore....................

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-13-2009, 3:17 AM
Do you use Scrapbook alot? With x4 they mention that you can install it, but they don't really promote it.....so I have never used it.

I stopped using it after ver 12 due to compatibility issues with older versions of Corel clip art. It was a nice feature to use. I haven't had time to upgrade to X4, but I have all my previous versions of Corel cataloged in ROMCAT and use that most of the time while working on X3.

I don't waste my time with swapping CD's. I have them all stored on a large hard drive so I can quickly access them.

I store all my various clip art collections on the hard drive in a Clipart folder with subfolders based off the CD or collection name. Lately I have been using ST Thumbnails Explorer for much of my browsing when I am in search of a non-cataloged graphic. I have a good memory, so I typically know which folder I need to view and then quickly scan for the graphic I need via ST.

As for torrents .... As a business person, I think it's best not to discuss or encourage others where to find them and how to use them in this type of open forum. There are plenty of other sites that have that info if you want to risk infecting your machine. SMC is a respectful place to visit and I would like to keep it that way.

Mr Mike Mills
09-20-2013, 9:56 PM
What brand of CNC router is that. I am looking for one for a school setting, and that looks like it has a fairly small foot print compared to the cutting field.

Thanks Mike

Jason Hilton
09-21-2013, 11:13 AM
Omnigraffle Pro comes with a complete set of US map vectors that can be copied and pasted whatever app you need. They have a free demo version available.

John W Richards
09-23-2013, 9:03 AM
I would like the link for the clip art torrent

Jason Hilton
09-23-2013, 2:00 PM
Here's a set in illustrator and eps format that you should be able to open and manipulate in Coral. Each state and province is it's own object, so you can move and manipulate as you see fit.

Download directory here (http://jlabscreative.com/files/)

Keith Outten
09-23-2013, 2:42 PM
What brand of CNC router is that. I am looking for one for a school setting, and that looks like it has a fairly small foot print compared to the cutting field.

Thanks Mike

Mike,

The CNC Router in the picture is a ShopBot PRT Alpha 48" by 96" model. Its an excellent machine for the money. FWIW I recommend the PRT Alpha model over the PRS if you decide to shop for a CNC Router at ShopBot.

Art Mann
09-23-2013, 9:15 PM
the clip art not software i have corel x4. the clip art torrent would be the same as me posting on here asking for a certain kind of clip art and asking if someone would share theres. which i have seen on here on a daily basis and frank is the one who usually supplies people with the art. so is that stealing too?

Yes! Sharing a piece of commercial clip art with someone else is a federal crime, just like sharing a piece of software. The reason I know this is my wife has been in the publishing business in one way or another for 26 years and she has to know the laws regarding copyright infringement. Providing a link for someone else to download a clip art library is a worse offense. People have gone to prison for promoting such things.