PDA

View Full Version : Old MOAK

Scot Johnson
03-11-2009, 1:47 PM
We have an old 36" MOAK band saw here at work that we are thinking of parting with; we will replace it with a 32" Northfield that we recently acquired (partially disassembled)- I think the 32" will better serve our purposes. The MOAK has a 5hp 3 phase motor and has newer Carter tires and guides. Any thoughts on what I could expect the value to be? We're here in Duluth, MN.

Mike Spanbauer
03-11-2009, 2:12 PM
Scot,

It's really difficult to place an exact price on a machine of that caliber. How are the bearings for the wheels? Does it track perfectly true, vibrate any, require any "special" care and feeding?

Plus, you'd be marketing a saw that won't fit in the average hobbyiest shop - 9'6" tall iirc? That further inhibits the available market.

Moving it is a challenge to say the least too.

This would be suitable to a hobbyiest with Gusto or very unique needs or a smaller commercial shop - however, both are hurting in this economy and those smaller shops are folding up pretty badly.

You MAY be able to get $1500 if it's in super condition, but with the current economy it may go for as little as $500 in order to move it. It is really hard to say. Plus, you're way up der in minnisoda - and its right cold up der, you'betcha

mike

Steve Rozmiarek
03-11-2009, 2:46 PM
I think it may bring a bit more than the $1500, if you find the right guy. I'd love to have it in my shop, but no need for two 36"ers.

Curious as to why you think the 32" Northfield will serve you better? If you do decide to list it, try a post on the classifieds here.

Alex Shanku
03-11-2009, 3:31 PM
Some might argue that the Tannewitz GH 36" BS is equal to, or just a tad superior, to the Moak. That being said, I have seen Tanny's going anywhere between $500 and $1500 lately. So, I guess I would agree with Mark.

Chris Padilla
03-12-2009, 9:27 AM
Wow...huge bandsaw!

george wilson
03-12-2009, 9:36 AM
Yes,large machinery is worth less pound for pound than smaller stuff,because of the trouble of moving it,and having space for it. Large metal lathes don't usually bring high prices,either,while crappy 10" Atlas lathes bring much more than they really should.

I know of a 42" Tannewitz bandsaw for sale,and I'll bet it will be there for a long time. It's out in the weather,too. One of the finest saws ever made,too.

Gary Radice
03-12-2009, 9:53 AM
You can also try posting over at the Old Woodworking Machines site, owwm.org. They don't do appraisals but you are likely to attract more folks interested in the larger industrial machines.

Scot Johnson
03-12-2009, 10:29 AM
In reply to Steve: "Curious as to why you think the 32" Northfield will serve you better?"

The 32" Northfield has the fence and miter gauge, has a smaller footprint. Northfield is still in business and a Minnisoda company which goes well with our location here in Duluth.

Frank Drew
03-12-2009, 1:51 PM
I know of a 42" Tannewitz bandsaw...It's out in the weather,too. One of the finest saws ever made,too.

George,

That's a little heartbreaking, the out in the weather part; a shame.
And I agree with your final thought, at least with respect to their line of bandsaws in general.

Mike Wilkins
03-12-2009, 2:36 PM
Go to exfactory.com to find similar machines and what the going rate is at today's price point. There are several pages there with bandsaws, both modern and vintage. Good luck.

Brian Coe
03-12-2009, 2:39 PM
I paid over $2,000 for my Moak 36", but that was a couple years ago in a better economy, and it was a late model in excellent shape. Everyone else is right, I've seen them go for as little as a few hundred to several thousand. A lot depends on condition, and the needs and capabilities of the buyer. It's a tall saw, very heavy (approx. 2500 lbs.) and may simply be more machine that a lot of small shops can handle. Still, if it is in good running shape, the Northfield that you mentioned is about the only thing domestically available that can approach it in quality and performance. Dollar for dollar, you certainly can't replace it for what you will be able to get for it. Moak was a big manufacturer, but not quite as well known or prolific as the Tannewitz and Oliver lines. I have several Moak machines, and like them as well as any of the other large, older machines. The OWWM site is a great resource, but as someone pointed out, they don't do appraisals. They do have a classified section, and 36" saws show up for sale there on occasion. Personally, judging from the two photos and your description, that saw should be a bargain for anything under 1K. A machinery dealer or reseller would probably start listing it in the 3K to 5K range. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Brian

Alex Shanku
03-12-2009, 5:11 PM
Go to exfactory.com to find similar machines and what the going rate is at today's price point. There are several pages there with bandsaws, both modern and vintage. Good luck.

Exfactory has incredibly overinflated prices. Anywhere from 50% to 75% from the times I have looked over there. Not a true representation of what owwm's cost, imo.

Dwain Lambrigger
03-12-2009, 7:11 PM
Scot,

How tall is that big machine? I would like to add it to my list of dream machines.

Thanks

David Christopher
03-12-2009, 7:34 PM
Scot, you and Tony Greenway could have a bandsaw contest......nice saw

Scot Johnson
03-13-2009, 8:57 AM
Scot,

How tall is that big machine? I would like to add it to my list of dream machines.

Thanks
Dwain- the machine sits 96-3/4" tall, so you'll have to build a bigger shop to go with your "dream machine" inventory!

Steve Rozmiarek
03-13-2009, 10:04 AM
Dwain- the machine sits 96-3/4" tall, so you'll have to build a bigger shop to go with your "dream machine" inventory!

That would fit in most garages just fine! Might have to pull the top wheel off to get it into the door though. (Oh, and if you use a forklift to get it into the garage, watch the mast so that you do not hit the eave on the house. Yes, I found that out first hand.) Add a good fence, Driftmaster maybe, and you have a sweet saw for far cheaper than the new ones. If you really want to cut miters with it, rig up some sort of sliding jig that mates to the fence.

lou sansone
09-02-2009, 9:03 PM
I paid over 2500 for my moak super 36" saw about 5 years ago. it was a late model, single owner saw with the super slow speed motor which are very hard to find.
lou

Bob Aquino
09-02-2009, 11:15 PM
That would fit in most garages just fine! Might have to pull the top wheel off to get it into the door though. (Oh, and if you use a forklift to get it into the garage, watch the mast so that you do not hit the eave on the house. Yes, I found that out first hand.) Add a good fence, Driftmaster maybe, and you have a sweet saw for far cheaper than the new ones. If you really want to cut miters with it, rig up some sort of sliding jig that mates to the fence.
Do also keep in mind that is a 5hp 3phase so you will most likely need a rotary phase converter or a static converter. VFD's are scarce for that much horsepower and very expensive. Still it would be a hell of a saw if you could find the room for it.

Dan Lindberg
10-14-2009, 1:24 PM
A little late but, I paid $400 for an older 36" Moak last summer down here in the Cities. It needs a bit of work but the wheels spin free and smooth.

Dan