PDA

View Full Version : Question about Grizzly G0513X2 17" Band Saw

Troy Simonton
03-11-2009, 1:18 PM
To those of you that have one of the newer Grizzly bandsaws with the dual dust ports, how well does the dust collection work on these machines? Say compared to a classic 14" delta? I'm ready to add one of the Grizzly G0513X2 17" machines to my herd but wanted to get some feedback on the dust collection. Two reasons I'm after a new machine is that I need a more resaw capable machine with much improved dust collection capability. I'd be plumbing this up to the Grizzly G0441 3HP cyclone, so should have plenty of suck power.
Thanks
Troy

Joe Dowdy
03-11-2009, 1:48 PM
I just got the G0513 but have yet to wire it up. I have heard that the dust ports work pretty good. It seems the ports are in a good location. I'll post after I hook it up in the next few days

John Keeton
03-11-2009, 1:48 PM
Troy, even in the best case situation, you will have some table dust, and some that escapes off the table. It is hard to put a number on it, but I would guess that my Oneida 2.5 picks up 85-90% of the bandsaw dust. But, I do not notice much "fines" in the air.

Anthony Whitesell
03-11-2009, 1:49 PM
I have the grizzly saw, but have not owned the Delta or any other comparable bandsaw. I had to connect both ports together via a 4x4x4 wye to get to my DC. My preference would have been to connect then to a 4x4x6 wye, but I don't have 6" duct work. Now with that said, the lower cabinet is really quite clean and there's more dust in the upper cabinet than the lower. I haven't played with the DC on it much, but I would recon' that a good quantity of the sawdust doesn't even make it into the lower cabinet. I always find a good pile to suck up or blow away on top of the cabinet below the table by the lower guide bearings.

Jim Kountz
03-11-2009, 1:57 PM
Id have to say the dust pickup is reasonable and WAY better than my old Delta and light years ahead of the old Craftsman saw I had years ago. You will still have the residual dust on the table but I can live with it.

Kevin Downs
03-11-2009, 3:04 PM
I have the G0513 also with two ports and am very happy. Pic to show how I hooked up the hoses...

Irwin Fletcher
03-11-2009, 3:58 PM
I have the 513 as well, and I only utilize the upper dust port with a Delta 50-760 w/4" quick-connect that I just roll over to it. The bottom one I just leave uncovered. Other than a little table dust, I've never noticed any significant dust accumulating anywhere. A little stays on the table, but the lower cabinet is almost spotless.

glenn bradley
03-11-2009, 4:08 PM
The classic Deltas I've used must have been a little too classic; there were no dust ports ;-) I did what Kevin does when I had my smaller DC hooked to the 513. When I added my cyclone, I all but cover the lower port from the inside.

Band saws are notoriously difficult to trap dust on as the best spot to catch it is occupied by the guides. Do a search here and you will find various methods folks have come up with to trap the dust better.

Post #14 here, for example: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=199779

Bill Petersen
03-11-2009, 4:12 PM
I do exactly the same thing with the same collector and I think the dust collection is excellent this way. Leaving the lower port open allows for a full air flow. I get a little dust on the table top but almost nothing in the lower cabinet.

Bill

I have the 513 as well, and I only utilize the upper dust port with a Delta 50-760 w/4" quick-connect that I just roll over to it. The bottom one I just leave uncovered. Other than a little table dust, I've never noticed any significant dust accumulating anywhere. A little stays on the table, but the lower cabinet is almost spotless.

jerry nazard
03-11-2009, 5:13 PM
I ran two 4" lines to a 6" main rather than use a 4" wye. If I want to further tweak the DC, I take a 5 -6" piece of 4" hose, slit lengthwise, and place it like a collar around the lower guide assemble between the cabinet and the bottom of the table. I still get a bit of residual dust on top of the table, but not much!

Troy Simonton
03-11-2009, 6:09 PM
Thanks for all the responses. Wow, lots of help. Many thanks!

I take a 5 -6" piece of 4" hose, slit lengthwise, and place it like a collar around the lower guide assemble between the cabinet and the bottom of the table
Jerry, that sounds like a great idea. Thanks.

I'm already plumbed with 6" duct to the bandsaw location and have 2- 4" wyes with gates on each. I figured I could adjust flow if needed this way. I'll have less than 3' of hose to the ports.

Does the 513 have brushes that rub the blade to help pull more dust off the blade? It sounds like the primary collection point is the top fitting which makes sense. Could someone post a close-up pic of the top dust port with the bottom door open?

Has anyone added a foot brake to these saws? I see where they have the electric brake feature on this saw but I can't justify the extra money. Now if it stopped the blade in 3 milliseconds on finger contact like the Sawstop, I'd pay for that.

Was it John that I read in another post that has resawn some white oak up to 10" wide with no problems on this machine? Is the consensus that the 2HP is very adequate for resawing? My resawing will be mostly up to 8" wide wood for building instruments. Spruce, figured maple, apple, makore, bubinga, etc. I usually don't (can't) get in any hurry and am looking for the smoothest, most uniform cut possible. With the 14" Delta (3/4hp) and a Timberwolf 1/2"-3tpi, I've done well other the years, I just want something bigger with much improved dust collection.

I'll be wanting to sell my 12 yr old Delta here soon. It's got the height attachment, Delta fence, Delta mobile base, cool blocks and 2 or 3 new timberwolf blades and 1 new woodslicer blade. American made. No rust on it and hardly a scratch on the sheetmetal. What is something like this going for? I'll likely post it out on craigslist once I get my new one.

OLT - Please no more posts about how to retro-fit the Delta for better dust collection, OK Glenn? How can I, in all honesty, tell the dw that I have to have a new bandsaw if I want better dust control? :)
Thanks guys!

Troy

John Keeton
03-11-2009, 6:28 PM
Troy, I don't think you will have any trouble at all with 10" oak with a Timberwolf blade. You will need to go a bit slower than perhaps poplar, but it will get the job done easily.

I didn't mean to say that the DC was not good on this saw - it is. But the throat area of the saw (any bandsaw) just does not have enough opening to pull some of the table dust down. Here is my drop from 6" to a 6/4/4 wye before adding the 4" flex.http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=86211&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1207877496 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=86211&d=1207877496)

There is a brush that cleans the wheel, and that certainly helps. I am headed to the shop and will take a couple pics and post again in a while.

jerry nazard
03-11-2009, 7:16 PM
Troy,

10" white oak is no problem. I have some 1/2" - 3 tpi blades from Highland Hardware that are great. There are several other places to get good blades.

This weekend, I am planing to resaw a bunch of 10 - 12" poplar for drawer sides. Not too long ago I would have dreaded such a project. Not now!!

Gotta say it: I LOVE THIS SAW!

Best!

-Jerry

John Keeton
03-11-2009, 7:18 PM
Troy, as promised, here are some pics of the 513. Hope they help - I posted that the brush was against the wheel, but obviously it is against the blade. Also, note that there is virtually no dust in the bottom of the saw. And, I never clean it out, so whatever is there has built up over several months. It couldn't be much more than a couple spoonfuls.

There is no dust in the upper compartment.

Troy Simonton
03-11-2009, 8:22 PM
Thanks John for the pics. Looks like two brushes in the lower cabinet.
I think I'm sold. I've been thinking about this for a year now. So...
513X2 with free shipping from Grizzly
4 blades from Suffolk
Casters from greatlakes

John Keeton
03-11-2009, 8:52 PM
Excellent choices! Of course, you are required to post a gloat when it arrives:)

Russ Massery
03-11-2009, 9:04 PM
I might add, I drilled (6) 3/16" holes on the top of the base. Which aides the dust collection. And eliminated the dust piles you see in John's photos.

Troy Simonton
03-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Russ
Do you mean holes in the sheet metal base right below the bearing guides to allow the suction to pull dust from that area? I was wondering where the air was coming from that is pulled out of the top inlet. Your idea seems like a good one.

John
Gloat, you mean like posting a picture of the new 513 sitting next to the sawstop over by the DL-40? I am celebrating my 20th yr of tool collecting. My collection is nearly half-way complete! Can't wait to setup the new girl.

Thanks all.
Troy

george wilson
03-11-2009, 11:13 PM
The 14" Delta,and the old 20" Delta,two of my favorite saws,are very inadequate on the dust collection ports provided. There is none on the 14",and a small 2",or so port on the 20". I have a 4" clear hose jammed under the table of my 14". On the 20" at work,I also band clamped a 2 1/2" hose above the blade on the 20" Delta. In this respect,newer models are better. Now,if they could just get the rest of the specs up to snuff...

Russ Massery
03-12-2009, 3:17 AM
Troy, Yes. Also it stop the whistling of air trying to get into the cabinet. Mine would whistle when hooked up to the dust collector.

John Keeton
03-12-2009, 5:32 AM
Russ, can you post a pic of the holes you drilled? By the way, I get a little bit of whistle as the DC is winding down after shutoff.

John Keeton
03-12-2009, 6:03 AM
John
Gloat, you mean like posting a picture of the new 513 sitting next to the sawstop over by the DL-40? I am celebrating my 20th yr of tool collecting. My collection is nearly half-way complete! Can't wait to setup the new girl.

Thanks all.
TroyTroy, you know without pics, none of this counts:D Congratulations in advance of your post on getting the new 513!

Troy Simonton
03-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Ok I ordered the 513X2 last Wed. Shipped out on Thursday and I was wheeling it into my shop on Monday AM. Not bad. (I'm 3hrs away from Springfield!) The great lakes casters arrived today and I went out to install them. I hadn't set the unit off the pallet and went to do that. I was expecting some threaded inserts or something in the bottom to mount the casters in to. Nope. Nothing. The saw has the holes in the top of the base but that is it. I was under the impression that this was an easy deal. What gives? What are folks using for a mobile base for the 513? btw - The GL casters are now $77 with shipping for a set of 4.

Other question/issue. I cleaned the goop off the table last night. I uncovered a faintly rusted area in one corner and several gray streaks throughout the table. Yes, this is a cosmetic thing but I'm very picky about my cast iron. Any ideas? Should I call or should I try to remove?

I did fire up the beast last night just to see if she purrs. Impressive. This is one smooth running machine. A few tweaks, nth degree alignment and some felt to quiet a rattle in the top door and she'll be all mine!

I was sad to see my 14" Delta of 13 yrs go on Fri. But a Craigslist guy paid me $650 cash (this saw was mint) and I had a new used canoe being delivered on Sat. So the sadness wore off rather quickly.

Thanks guys!

Troy

Pat Germain
03-18-2009, 10:22 PM
What are folks using for a mobile base for the 513? Troy

I have a JET mobile base on my 513. I put a piece of MDF in it which made it more stable. One of these days I'll around to bolting the saw the mobile base which should eliminate the little bit of wobble I still have.

Cary Falk
03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
What are folks using for a mobile base for the 513? btw - The GL casters are now $77 with shipping for a set of 4.

Troy

Woodcraft casters on 1x2" steel tubes bolted to each side of the base through the existing holes. Works great.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0424.jpg

glenn bradley
03-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Yes, this is a cosmetic thing but I'm very picky about my cast iron. Any ideas? Should I call or should I try to remove?

Rust Free (http://woodworking.about.com/od/woodworkingaccessories/gr/BoeshieldRustFr.htm)works best for me. I even got a ring out of a 1970's C-man top where a cup had sat that steel wool wouldn't budge. It is caustic so read the label.

John Petsche
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
nice G0513 grizzly bandsaw dust collection pics.