PDA

View Full Version : Sanded Through :(

Adam Cavaliere
03-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I was finishing up my coffee table top and after getting all the way up to 1200 grit, I have realized there are a few spots where I sanded through the finish and even a small amount of the stain.

So my question to you guys is, can I just spot stain / finish the areas I sanded through?

I used a polycrylic water based finish, which I am sure you guys need to know before bestowing me with your advice :)

Thanks!

Steve Schoene
03-11-2009, 9:31 PM
You can spot stain. But you should expect to add a coat over the entire panel. You won't be happy with the spot patch of the top coat.

And, next time, don't work your way up to 1200 in a bunch of steps. Start with 600 to remove defects, and then jump to 1200 to remove the scratches from the 600 grit. Sure it's more "efficient" to not skip a grit, but unless you stop sanding with each grit at exactly the point where you have removed the coarser scratches you will end up taking off more total finish that way. As long as you remove the scratches from the coarser grit it makes no difference how many intermediate grits you will have used.

Ray Dockrey
03-12-2009, 8:45 AM
Maybe I am missing something here but I never go up that high in grit for a finish. I have used the Minwax Water based before and I sprayed the General Finishes water based over the weekend. I lightly sanded at 220 between coats and the final coat is really smooth. I apply three coats. Before I apply the last coat I sand with worn 220 so it is not so aggressive. I am going to use the technique Keith Outten posted sometime back about using a fine scotch brite pad with an orbital sander and some furniture wax to smooth out the final finish. Hopefully somebody with more finishing experience will chime in about this.

Steve Schoene
03-12-2009, 10:26 AM
That's pretty much SOP for rubbing out a finish. Sanding removes and flattens defects where scotch brite and steel wool just round them over. But after flatting with the sand paper, the final sheen can be achieved either with steel wool and wax, or with polishing compound, pumice or rottenstone.

I suggest using 320 grit between coats. That's enough to give adhesion, but with less risk of cut through or having visible scratches remain.

Ray Dockrey
03-12-2009, 7:54 PM
Thanks Steve. I have more finishing to do so I will switch to the 320.