PDA

View Full Version : Hello, new to the group

Brian DeLore
03-11-2009, 3:18 AM
I picked up an interest in hand plane use about a year ago. I laughed at my forman when he pulled out his #6. I laugh no more! It's amazing what an old school carpenter can do with these tools. With help from people at work and your site I am trying to make friends with these tools. I have rehabed a couple basket cases, grampa's #4 and a # 5 a coworker gifted to me. The rest of my planes were purchased in fairly good condition. I'm grinding and honing freehand, My total regrinds usually need to be touched up but I'm trying. I have been shown what sharp truely is. I try to fit them into my projects where I can. I enjoy working on the planes and am trying to learn to use them properly.
Thanks for all the help,
Brian DeLore :)

John Keeton
03-11-2009, 5:49 AM
Brian, you are probably further along into the handtools than am I, but I just wanted to say WELCOME! When you post at 3 am in the morning, it is pretty lonely out there!!

Berl Mendenhall
03-11-2009, 7:17 AM
Welcome Brian. You will like this forum. If you like hand tools, this is the place. There are some very knowledgeable people here. One of the great things about a forum like this is all the links to blogs and web sites on tools and building all types of things. I'm not a long time member but I have taken to checking it first thing every morning. Got to find out what everyone's talking about.

Berl

Justin Green
03-11-2009, 7:41 AM
Welcome! There are a LOT of very helpful people here who take a lot of time helping to answer questions. It's great! You'll enjoy it!

Don Orr
03-11-2009, 11:21 AM
This is a real nice forum and I have learned a lot from the generous Galoots here. You are obviously well on your way down a very slippery slope-enjoy !

Dave Anderson NH
03-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the monkey house Brian. You'll find the folks here are quite helpful and you'll get lots of different viewpoints.

Jim Koepke
03-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Glad to have you aboard Brian.

Have you checked out the FAQs toward the top of the Neanderthal Haven list?

It is just getting started, but hopefully it will grow to a great source of information.

jim

mike holden
03-11-2009, 10:09 PM
Brian,
welcome!
I see you are in Michigan, where?
I am in Clinton Township, near lake st clair.
If you are anywhere close, we should get together sometime for shaving festival (grin)

Mike

gary Zimmel
03-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the Creek Brian.

You will find a ton a knowledge here.

Brian DeLore
03-12-2009, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome. It's nice to be here.