PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the going rate for a veneer quality white oak log?

Loren Blount
03-10-2009, 8:27 PM
I have a friend who knows a guy who is logging some oak timber. I told my friend to tell his friend who is doing the logging I would be interested in buying a good quality log or two if he had a log extra that wouldn't fit on the truck or for whatever reason wasn't quite good enough to be veneer quality. Well my friend called saying the logger had 2 white oak logs veneer quality on 3 sides (?) on the ground that he didn't have a buyer for and wanted me to call him if I'm interested. I'm interested in them, but I don't have any experience buying logs , or know their value? I'm hoping someone here at SMC who is a sawyer can give me an idea what to look for before buying , and a ballpark figure on the board foot price.

Thanks Loren

Chris Padilla
03-10-2009, 8:55 PM
I know zilch about this but I was watching an episode of "Ax Men" and when the guy brought in his logs to sell, the lady simply looked at the color of the wood at the cut and the size of the log to the nearest knot hole. She then waived her hand, gave the max value and then deflated it citing several issues with the log and paid him so much money for the log.

You definately need to look at the log but beyond that...hopefully someone else will chime in for you. :)