PDA

View Full Version : Made this saw for a friend...

Alan DuBoff
03-10-2009, 5:27 PM
In memory of Lance McCollum, 03/01/1958 - 02/01/2009

(linky pic to blog and gallery)

http://traditionaltoolworks.com/saws/carcass-xcut/smc-left.jpg (http://blogs.TraditionalToolworks.com/aland/)

Justin Green
03-10-2009, 6:24 PM
That's inspiring! Sorry to hear about your friend.

Dominic Greco
03-10-2009, 6:25 PM
Alan,
That is a very nice saw and a very fitting tribute to your friend Lance. I'm sure your friend Ken will appreciate it.

Your story made me think of my good buddy Eric who also passed away from an aortic aneurysm. He would have been 46 last month. He too was an active outdoorsman and a world class bicyclist. He was also one hell of a talented photographer. Ah,...I miss that big goober!

Alan DuBoff
03-11-2009, 2:25 AM
Dom, Justin,

Thanks for the kind words...I'm still getting the process down, fit/finish is starting to come together.

I'm sure your friend Ken will appreciate it.
He definitely will, he owns a cabinet shop and makes high end cabinets for a living.;)

Sometimes life is shorter than we think, I'm glad to give it to him. He built the cabinets in my kitchen, and does great work.

Next is a pair of carcass saws for myself, with open handles (ebony with ivory inlays).

Matt Ranum
03-11-2009, 4:12 AM
Very nice memorial piece.

Ray Gardiner
03-11-2009, 6:09 AM
Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear about your friend, and, well done on the beautiful work on the tribute.

I like the curly olive and pearl inlay, looks great. I expect it will get many
years of use and appreciation.

Regards
Ray

Justin Green
03-11-2009, 9:26 AM
Well, your fit and finish is levels above mine! Especially looking at the metal parts, teeth filing, etc...

Ed Nelson978
03-12-2009, 7:40 PM
Hey Alan, looks like you're really getting good with the saws! I played with mine a little more and have it almost tuned up.

Sorry to hear about your friend. I know it's tough to lose someone that you have a lot of memories with.

Alan DuBoff
03-13-2009, 4:32 AM
Hey Alan, looks like you're really getting good with the saws! I played with mine a little more and have it almost tuned up.
Ed,

Good to hear from you. BTW, the brass split-nuts I sent you were made by a guy who frequents SMC, Johnny Kleso. I don't think he makes them anymore, but does make other cap screws and such for hand planes.

I need to make some more split-nuts myself, I started on my next pair of saws today...

Ed Nelson978
03-13-2009, 10:35 AM
I may try and finish off the original blade I had been working on and put a second saw together. Thanks for pointing me to Johnny.

Alan DuBoff
03-13-2009, 1:27 PM
I may try and finish off the original blade I had been working on and put a second saw together. Thanks for pointing me to Johnny.
For saw nuts, contact Mike Wenzloff, he sells them for about $4.50/each, as I recall. Tools For Working Wood sells them for $6/each I think. The ones Mike has could be a bit thicker, I like that. For my own that I turn, I made the head and washer about 3/16" thick, with a 1/16" slot in them, which I cut fairly deep to get good purchase on it when tightening.

The ones I sent you had a very narrow slot in them, and only about 1/8" thick. I believe Joel's are 1/8" thick also, per the docs on his website, I have never used one of his. Mike's also have a narrow slot, at least the ones I have and/or have seen. But Mike's recent ones are thicker also, about 3/16" thick as well. He was showing them to me from one of his kits at the LN Hand Tool Event last month.

Ed Nelson978
03-14-2009, 9:03 AM
Perfect! Thanks!!