PDA

View Full Version : Long shot ?

John Danner
03-10-2009, 4:14 PM
My house is at the end of a cul de sac and beyond my back yard is a US hwy. I am not sure who owns the land (state, county, or city?) but just about 15-30 feet beyond my yard sits several large oak trees, several of which are growing into several trees in my yard and blocking out their light. What do you think the odds are that I could offer to have the trees professionally cut down and then milled and use the lumber myself? I know they cut dead trees down and just chop them up and leave them there. I figure me getting them cut would save them expense and make them better neighbors since they are killing my trees and filling my yard with acorns and leaves. Plus if I use the wood to make cabinets it will increase the value of my home helping the neighborhood. :)

CPeter James
03-10-2009, 4:41 PM
Go ahead and cut the trees..................if you want to go to jail. The feds take a dim view of people cutting trees within their right-of-way(ROW). I know from personal experience. I was a utility engineer and had a crew of trimmers doing some work beside a local highway that was classifies as FAS(Federal-aid secondary highway system). The short version is, that they treat it like it was the Interstate and no one does anything without their permission. Luckily for me, not much damage was done before the trimmers were stopped and Somme sweet talk smoothed things over. Even so, a scary experience.

CPeter

Chris Konikowski
03-10-2009, 5:34 PM
Go ahead and cut the trees..................if you want to go to jail. The feds take a dim view of people cutting trees within their right-of-way(ROW). I know from personal experience. I was a utility engineer and had a crew of trimmers doing some work beside a local highway that was classifies as FAS(Federal-aid secondary highway system). The short version is, that they treat it like it was the Interstate and no one does anything without their permission. Luckily for me, not much damage was done before the trimmers were stopped and Somme sweet talk smoothed things over. Even so, a scary experience.

CPeter

Reread his post. e says he is going to talk to them, not just cut them down.