PDA

View Full Version : gouges

Alan Frazier
03-10-2009, 3:44 PM
I was using the grizzly 12 piece carving chisel set at school today to carve a guitar neck I was surprised how nice they were for the price ($30). My question is the gouges needed to be held up at a high angle to cut one needed to be almost straight up, I haven't used gouges like this before only Japanese ones so maybe this is normal. If it's not normal they could probably be reground right? I'm just wondering because I'm buying some stuff from them in a few weeks and for the price this set would be nice for the little woodcarving I do.

Johnm Chase
03-11-2009, 3:56 PM
I think you are probably right they will need a new bevel. I wouldn't want to carve at that kind of angle. For the price I cant hurt if you don't use them as much as other carvers would. I would be skeptical of value but that's just me... what kind of carving do you do?

Alan Frazier
03-11-2009, 4:04 PM
I think you are probably right they will need a new bevel. I wouldn't want to carve at that kind of angle. For the price I cant hurt if you don't use them as much as other carvers would. I would be skeptical of value but that's just me... what kind of carving do you do?
So far just guitar necks the carving tools help a lot on an acoustic's heel) but I am planning to do some furniture that may have a little carving in it once and a while. My dad has a set of really small carving chisels and a set of a little bit bigger Japanese carving chisels. Those both work great but can be kind of small so I think I'll buy the set or I may just buy one or two of their Japanese gouges which should be better quality but I was pretty impressed with the set on everything except for the gouges.