PDA

View Full Version : is this lathe a good starter?

Daniel Kennedy
03-10-2009, 3:21 PM
I am trying to get into turning a bit. I located this lathe. Is it a good starter, and is the price good? Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

FOR SALE Boice Crane woodworking lathe on shopmade wooden stand. Lathe has 11 inch swing and 40” bed with 1hp motor. Excellent spindle lathe. Complete with tool rest and extra spindles, face plates, drill chuck and other misc. parts plus a few chisels.
$250.
includes 2 faceplates, 2 drive centers, 2 other centers, extra pulleys, several chisels, other odds & ends.

David Walser
03-10-2009, 3:39 PM
Danny,

I don't know much (anything!) about that particular lathe. If it has Morse tapers (preferably #2) in both the headstock and tailstock, you might have a decent starter lathe. In addition to asking about the Morse tapers, you'll want to know the threading on the spindle (1" x 8tpi is a common size). With a common Morse taper and spindle thread, you'll be able to get the accessories you'll need for turning pens, bottle stoppers, small bowls, etc.

In addition, when you inspect the lathe, be sure to make sure there is no play in the headstock spindle (looseness might indicate the need to replace the bearings) and that the headstock and tailstock centers line up. If all that checks out and you're pleased with the other aspects of the machine (nothing's broken and the lathe turns on), for $250 it sounds like you have a good deal!

FYI: Alan Lacer has an article on buying a lathe. On his home page, click on the "Articles" button and scroll down for the article cleverly entitled, How to buy a Lathe. Here's the link:http://www.alanlacer.com/

Good luck!

Alex Shanku
03-10-2009, 4:24 PM
I am a Boice Crane junky, so that being said:

Thats an excellent lathe at that price due to all the additional tooling included.

I would buy it in a heartbeat if I needed one.

At $250 (maybe less) you could, provided its a single phase motor (or if you have a 3ph solution) you could start turning right away.

I personally would not use it until I did a bearing change on both the motor and spindle, however.

Anyway, cruise over to OWWM.com and look at the publication reprints and see what you can find on that lathe.

Al

Dick Sowa
03-10-2009, 4:57 PM
Examining the photo, it looks like head and tail stock are #1 morse taper...they look too small to be #2. But #1 MT accessories are pretty common, you shouldn't't have a problem finding them.

alex carey
03-10-2009, 6:18 PM
If you plan on doing spindle work this is a good lathe to start with but if you plan on doing bowl stuff I think your better off starting with a 12" mini lathe. Especially if this isn't MT#2 and if its not 1" by 8tpi. Otherwise if..or should I say WHEN you upgrade your stuff won't transfer over. Also you have no idea if the motor will stop working tomorrow. Just doesn't seem worth it.