PDA

View Full Version : Source for HSS cutters

Jim Slovik
03-10-2009, 2:49 PM
Does anyone have a source for HSS disc shaped cutters for use on a shear scraper type tool? They have to be available somewhere but I can't seem to locate any. I am currently using cutters made from saw blades but I would like something that is thicker and that would hold an edge longer.
Thank you

Jeff Nicol
03-10-2009, 2:55 PM
Look at Craft Supplies, Rockler, Woodcraft and a number of woodworking stores. Many of them sell replacement cutters for the commercially available tools. I am sure there are more on the internet so do some searching and you will find what you want.

Jeff

Jim Slovik
03-10-2009, 3:36 PM
Thanks Jeff. I thought that I might get a reply from you. You seem to know how to make any turning tool that can be made in a home shop. I did make some cutter blades from old saw blades as you suggested. Some are fantastic and some aren't very good at all. Since I don't know the composition of the saw that I'm cutting up, I don't know how good it will be until I've completed it. I don't mind the labor when it works out well. But, when it doesn't........
I should have been more clear on my initial posting. What I meant was.....Does anyone have a source for less expensive cutters.

Jeff Nicol
03-11-2009, 6:11 AM
Jim, Places like ENCO, MSC, and other industial supply houses sell many carbide and HSS cutters. I have not used any of the carbide insert cutters yet, but plan on trying some day soon. I have looked all over the internet and found them in lots of places but the prices are very close. I buy a lot from ENCO as they are fast on shipping and the products they sell are great for the price! To get the thicker cutters I was thinking I could braze together two layers of saw blade and create the thickness I wantd. You might be able to get away with out brazing them as the bottom layer is just to support the top which is doing the cutting any way. I will go out and see what I can create and show you what I came up with.

Later,

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
03-11-2009, 7:20 AM
Jim, Here is a quick way to make round cutters from the sawblade to the thickness of a bought Sorby cutter. The Sorby is the left one in the picture, I sure you could tell but had to be sure! I did it fast so the shaft was not drilled perfectly centerd so I did some hand grinding after I roughed it out with the drill. I will get my Dad to make me a shaft that is centered for next time. They will work this way as the cutting edge will dull and be turned to a fresh edge any way, the arc of the grind does not matter that much. You could heat treat the cutters to make them harder if you wanted to so the edge would last longer, but seems like to much work for me! Here are some pictures. Jim here is a link to some carbide round cutters that would work also. Like I said lots of stuff out there on the web!!

http://www.usacarbide.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1259_1317&products_id=5024

Jeff