PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl cutters?

Jeremy Butler
03-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I am thinking about getting a vinyl cutter because I have people that want me to make things for them so I am trying to decide if it would be worth it or just have them go to a vinyl store. Does anyone know of any good(yet remaining somewhat cheaper, under $1,000) vinyl cutters. Do they run with the same programs as a laser (coreldraw etc)

Dan Hintz
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
eBay has a wide selection... and it will help your search if you use the correct spelling... "vinyl".

Scott Shepherd
03-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I've bought the inexpensive model and now a better model. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have spent the money in the begging and got the brand name from day one.

You can get a very nice plotter for $1500 or less and more than likely, it'll have a plug-in that works directly with Corel. So you can draw in Corel, click the button and it opens up another window, you make any adjustments you need to the parameters and send it and it's done.

Jeremy Butler
03-10-2009, 1:33 PM
What brands should I look at and which should I stay away from? what are things to look for when purchasing one? scott, which ones did you get and what were their pros and cons?

Scott Shepherd
03-10-2009, 2:01 PM
I got a Copam from US Cutter at first. It worked fairly well. However, there was almost no technical support. You could call them, but it more often than not ended up in you emailing them, which they would answer in a day or two, and you'd answer that, and then another day or two. You could easily spend 3-5 days going back and forth. The machine was fine, but it was using a serial cable, which caused me grief a time or two.

I went from there to a Graphtec. It's about twice as fast. I've had issues with it, but probably more user issues than machine issues. It's very fast and it's a nice machine that will do a load of things. I use it in conjunction with my laser all the time.

I cut dimensional letters on the laser and then use the plotter with a pen in it to make the pattern for installing the letters.

Graphtec, Roland, Summa, are just a few names. You can catch a local show (NBM Shows- google it) in your area and pick up a "Show special" price on just the cutter. Probably could get a 24" wide cutter for about $1200-1300. Most of those come with a 2,3, or 4 year warranty.

Joe Pelonio
03-10-2009, 2:02 PM
Having used several varieties of plotters (still have 3) I found Graphtec to be the best. They do have a 24" model CE5000 for $1,295 at some places. If you go online to a place like www dot uscutter dot com you will find it as well as less expensive imported models for much less. The sign supply companies that are located in most large cities will have a variety, and can demo them for you, but expect to pay more.

Look for support, does the vendor provide phone, e-mail, and perhaps forum help? Do they stock parts (like blades) that you can get shipped quickly? Also, compare warranties.

Doug Griffith
03-10-2009, 2:09 PM
If you plan on cutting thicker materials, look for a system with a tangential cutting head. Instead of dragging a swiveling blade, a tangential system mechanically lifts and turns the blade on angled cuts. Besides the ability to cut thicker materials (such as sand blast masks), this will give you cleaner corners and make for easier weeding.

AL Ursich
03-10-2009, 4:11 PM
I bought the CoPam but before I opened the box decided to upgrade and US Cutter let me send it back, I paid shipping, and they gave me full credit toward the Graphtec FC7000MK2-60 I got from them. A good deal, because they could have told me to go pack sand....

My reason to upgrade was not the support, good to hear that now, but the Photo Eye that the FC7000 has.... I use Corel and with that you add registration marks on the artwork with a utility and if I made a sheet of stickers and sublimated them on Clear Mates and stuck it to Reflective White Vinyl. I could load it into my FC7000 and using the registration marks would be able to cut out the stickers. You then peal the excess and you have stickers on a sheet.... You can then Epoxy Dome them too.

I still have not gotten it to work for me yet, I have been time sharing between other projects. My problem is that you need to leave a bigger area on the sheet for the Registration marks to be in a clear area so I get less stickers on a page. I am still working on it, but it does work.

Need to try it on bigger paper.

My vote would be for a Graphtec.

I am working with a carrier sheet idea with registration marks and I have lines to tape my 8.5 x 11 Sticker sheet in the middle of the bigger carrier sheet to cut the stickers.

AL

Steve Chalmers
03-10-2009, 9:21 PM
I purchased a Graphtec about 60 days ago, and have not looked back. It works flawlessly, and has paid for itself 4-5 times over in the short time I've owned it.

The suggestions that I received from friends when I was looking said to look at either Graphtec or Roland.

One suggestion that I would offer would be to use a better quality vinyl when you start using the equipment. I've found that the better quality weeds a whole lot easier!

Steve

bob pfohler
03-16-2009, 8:26 AM
I also have a Graphtec 24" cutter, it's been a great machine.

A software cutting plug-in for Corel comes with the unit, unfortunately it won't work with the OEM version of Corel I have. I print directly from Corel and have had no issues.

Mike Null
03-19-2009, 6:57 AM
Bob

I have found Graphtec tech support to be very helpful. I think they'll give you the right plug in if you give them a call.

AL Ursich
03-20-2009, 10:47 AM
And the Tech support has a sense of humor.... I called with a problem and the tech calmly said that I needed a new Plotter :eek: and I quickly replied with my credit card number.... :rolleyes: He was not expecting that.

Yes, very helpful.

AL