PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Class with Scott Holmes(Woodcraft)

Chris Allen
03-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Has anyone taken this class with Scott Holmes at the Houston Woodcraft? Anyone heard of him? Has anyone taken a similar class at a different Woodcraft?

Just trying to get some opinions. Worth $100? Any good info? Etc etc etc. I'm planning to take the class this Saturday.

Thanks!

Fred Hargis
03-10-2009, 2:15 PM
I've heard of him...he spends some time on the Wood magazine finishing forum, and I see a lot of his advice there...but that's about all I can offer.

Jerry White
03-10-2009, 2:48 PM
Chris,

I took the Advanced Finishing class conducted by Scott Holmes in August of 2007. This was at the Woodcraft on 290, before they moved to the 1960 area.

Scott conducted an excellent class. He was very well prepared and brought a lot of training material, finishing demonstrations with him. His presentation skill were good. It was absolutely the best class I have had a Woodcraft and I don't think you will regret taking it. Of course it was an eight hour class, if I remember correctly. A week would not have been enough for that subject. :)

Edit to add: Since I wrote this I have been outside mowing the lawn and thinking about Woodcraft classes I have taken. There is another class I took there that was at least as good as Scott's finishing class, so I need to list it also. That one was on handplanes, presented by Lie Nielsen representative, Deneb Pechalski. If you ever get a chance at Deneb's class, don't turn it down. I don't remember the cost of either class, but I remember that they were worthwhile.