PDA

View Full Version : Worksharp3000

Michael Parr
03-10-2009, 11:26 AM
http://www.worksharptools.com/product.asp?specific=137

I am interested in an opinion on this. I am looking at getting a couple of hand planes and message #1 seems to be make things scary sharp. The $300 price tag is not an issue as its part of the $1000 ill spend on sharpening and 2 hand planes. I like to work efficient and smart and don't have the patience to do what my take an hour when $250 more could do it in 5 or 10 minutes.

Michael Roland
03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
I don't own one yet but I have one order.

Based on my research reviews seem generally very positive with a few recent units having issues with one adjustment that isresolved by the manufacturer providing some shims.

Hartville Tool is having a sale where the 3000 comes with an optional leather honing wheel for free and the wide blade kit including an extra glass wheel for free. Ordered together the shipping is free. You might want to check it out.

Michael

Ben Cadotte
03-10-2009, 12:29 PM
I have one and love it. I got it through Amazon for $199. Caught some extra glass plates and discs on sale too about the same time.

I have some craftsman plain ole chisels that I spend about 2 hours on one day. They are absolutely scary sharp. And have a full mirrior finish (something Sears wont be supplying any time soon on them).

I had a 6" jointer blade with a small nick in it. I said there must be a way to use the Worksharp to touch it up. I made a simple blade holder out of a piece of 2x4 with a slot cut at 40 deg. With the depth just right. I used it to sharpen all 3 jointer blades. They are now scary sharp and the jointer has never cut this good since new.

I don't think I have seen it any less than $199 anywhere (its $199 right now at Amazon).

George Petersen
03-10-2009, 12:48 PM
I bought a Worksharp a couple weeks ago (Amazon, 200. delivered). I mainly sharpen hand chisels, so I did not get the wide tool attachment. It was easy to learn basic operation, I am sure this is capable of getting tools extremely sharp, but I wanted dam sharp, real quick. Now that the grunt work is done, I keep it on my bench close by for touch up. Sure beats using a stone. With a bit more learning curve, this could produce some incredible edges, but I was more concerned with quick and easy, and I am happy with it.

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-10-2009, 1:36 PM
i recommend it highly. I was always a hack at sharpening but the very first try with the worksharp 3000, I was a pro. What ben said: get one extra glass wheel so you won't need to change sandpaper while working through the grits
Jerry Work wrote an excellent tutorial that is posted on the worksharp website:
http://www.worksharptools.com/ftproot/Work-Sharp-shop-setup-manual-lowrez.pdf

glenn bradley
03-10-2009, 5:45 PM
I have one. I love it. Max blade width is 2" so take that into consideration when you are plane shopping. Dad has one too. He loves it. He 'adjusted' a plane purchase to be sure the blade would fit the WS. BTW, you can generally get them for $200 (Oh, you are probably looking at the wide blade attachment). I also have a great scary-sharp setup that hardly gets used anymore but, it is a great method.

travis howe
03-10-2009, 9:08 PM
Keep w/in the specs of the width and/or get the additional attachement for wider tools and it's awesome! I'm w/ ya...don't have a lot of shop time so anything I can do to speed up these tasks I'm all for and this is one of the best things I've gotten for that!:D

Glenn Lewis
03-10-2009, 10:01 PM
with no prior sharpening experience, i was able to sharpen my plane irons and chisels to "arm-hair-shaving sharp" within half an hour of opening the WS3000 box.

Jacob Mac
03-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I love mine. I have never had my chisels as sharp as they are now. And if you carve, the honing wheel is really nice to have. I don't have the extra wide attachment, but I will once I get some hand planes up and running.

Overall it is one of my few purchases that I don't regret at all.

matt dumney
03-10-2009, 10:12 PM
I love mine and it's very easy to use. I highly recommend it. Don't forget the leather hone.

Gary Click
03-11-2009, 1:05 AM
I like my WS3K - a lot!

J. Z. Guest
03-11-2009, 9:33 AM
From what I understand about planes, (admittedly not much!) message #1 is to make sure the sole is flat. Unless you're buying Lie-Nielson planes, that is going to take a lot of work that can't necessarily be done by machine.

Message #2 is to have them sharp.