PDA

View Full Version : large pictures

Jeremy Butler
03-10-2009, 9:35 AM
I am looking at the ability to make pictures larger for mural-type projects using smaller pictures. I have heard of some software that will resize your pictures to very large sizes like photozoom etc. Does anyone use any of these programs? Do they work well or just the same as enlarging in CS3?

onur cakir
03-10-2009, 9:50 AM
Hi Jeremy,

What is the resolution of your source image and what is your target size ?

Jeremy Butler
03-10-2009, 10:02 AM
It would be many different sizes, I would try to use bigger images to start with to get a better final but some might be fairly small (6"x8" 100-300 pixel/inch) and enlarge them to 12"x 16" - poster size

Doug Griffith
03-10-2009, 10:22 AM
Also check out Genuine Fractals (http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2). I've seen it used in the print world and it works amazingly well. Since high resolution laser rastering is comparatively low to the print world, you should get even better results.

Duane Parcells
03-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi Jeremy

I gave up on CS3 and Corel for resizing images. Switched to BenVista PhotoZoom Pro 2. It is very good at changing resolution and size. Going from 72 dpi to 300 dpi, it simply can't be beat. I do murals using mirrors, LaserTile or hardwood flooring material. The real results show up more in the finished product than on the computer screen. If you want to see what the differences are, post a small picture or graphic and I'll run it through both programs so you can see the results.

Duane

Jeremy Butler
03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
here is a small picture I just pulled off the internet for the experiment :) duane have you checked out the program doug mentioned? how do you think it compares to photozoom?

Jack Harper
03-10-2009, 1:32 PM
Also check out Genuine Fractals (http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=2). I've seen it used in the print world and it works amazingly well. Since high resolution laser rastering is comparatively low to the print world, you should get even better results.

I second this. I use their entire professional suite with great results. I have to blow up images all the time to 4'x8' - 8'x12' in size and do so with no difficulties. One note though, in case you have not discovered it, Photograv does not even begin to handle large images. You will have do do your processing outside of the program.

Doug Griffith
03-10-2009, 2:15 PM
You might want to try the free PS script or actions found at:
http://www.dogcollarlabor.com/smc

Duane Parcells
03-10-2009, 7:58 PM
Jeremy

The picture of the deer is too poor quality to increase in size very much. Most pictures on the internet have been processed so the file size is quick to download and has a great deal of the original file info removed. When I shopped for the software (BenVista) was considered the best available. Fractal had limitations that PhotoZoom did not. Saving files in a proprietary format and "paper size" were drawbacks for me at that time. On the photograv and file size, I've never had a problem and have run very large files with it (several hundred megs) Lots of memory and a (huge swap file - at least twice your image size) are a must. Both programs can be used in a try before you buy setup. BenVista does not do tiling like Fractal but CorelDraw does a very good job of that.
duane