PDA

View Full Version : Help identify jointer

Tom Fox
03-10-2009, 9:09 AM
I am helping a friend try to find out as much as he can about a jointer that he's considering purchasing. It's 16" wide, bed is 7' long. We can't make out the full name, but it ends with "Briggs", was cast in 1909 in Pennsylvania. Anyone recognize this? FYI - that's the motor sitting on the bed. It seems to mount outside of the base on the rear, almost looks like a retrofit. I can work on getting better pics ...

Stanley Smith
03-10-2009, 9:51 AM
Try asking in The Shop @ www.owwm.org (http://www.owwm.org)

Steve Rozmiarek
03-10-2009, 9:51 AM
Tom, I just ran through the OWWM.com list of manufacturers, and I think that your jointer was actually made by Briggs. All that is listed on OWWM are a couple lathes, so it's apparently a pretty scarce machine. There is probably more info over there, but I have to get to work.

The motor is probably a retrofit, as you suspected. As for purchasing an old jointer, this is probably a babbit bearing machine, which is ok if they are in good shape. It looks pretty easy to repour babbit bearings, I've never done it. I use a babitt bearing bandsaw often, and there is nothing wrong with babbit, just be aware of it. More importantly, make sure that the cutter head is round, not square. If it is the square type, it will need to be replaced to be a usable machine. You'll want to look close and have a retrofit plan if it's needed. Might be an opportunity to add Tersa or Byrd?

Personally, I love the old iron, and this one looks like a good project in the photo. I'd look closer to see if it is worth the time and effort you'll end up putting into it. Have fun!

Tom Fox
03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I didn't know about OWWM.com, looks like a great resource - thanks!

This does indeed have Babbitt bearings, and one of them reportedly "runs hot". I haven't had a chance to look closely at the machine. It is not in running condition, and the guy selling it is helping out an older friend, so I'm several steps removed from anyone who knows anything about it.

It has a 5hp 3-phase motor (I assume it runs), no belt, 4 knives in a round head, and the bed/fence are reported to be in "good" condition. So assume the knives/bearings need to be replaced, need to fiddle with rigging a mount for the motor, fitting a belt, etc.

They're asking $750 for it as is. Too many variables to be sure at this point, so rehab cost is a wide range of possibilities. Could maybe just get by for several hundred $, or could go alot further (new cutting head, etc) and easily spend more than $1500+. I have limited experience with rehabing old iron, is this worth it or by the time you put in what could be $1000 or more, better off buying a new smaller machine? 16" would be nice to have, but for a hobbyist I'm thinking my advice might be spend about the same $ and pick up a new 8" powermatic or such and skip the hassle of bringing the 16" beast back to life?

Bob Luciano
03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I have a couple of made in USA 8" PMs I will be selling soon I might be able to help you out.

Myk Rian
03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Tom and Bob;
Where are you guys? Might make things easier. You can update your profiles with that info.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-10-2009, 3:55 PM
rehabing old iron, is this worth it or by the time you put in what could be $1000 or more, better off buying a new smaller machine?

Tom, I think the answer to that varies with each situation. In this instance, figure the cost of new babbit, you probably have a usable cutterhead, a guard system of some sort, and repower. If you spend the $ it takes for that, you will have a great 16" jointer. I have a 16" jointer, and I will never willingly own anything smaller. It really opens up the options to do anything that you might want. You need to compare the cost of replacment to the cost of fixing this old beast up. I'm betting that you will find that it is generally a good investment to fix up old iron.

I think the $750 he wants, based on a non running machine, is a little high.

george wilson
03-10-2009, 5:42 PM
Oil those babbit bearings very often,or they may not last long. High class precision lathes can have 'plain" bearings,but they must be oiled.

Todd Pretty
03-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I remember seeing pictures of a jointer like that in my Grampa's woodwork shop... it was from the early 1900's and all the tools were water powered. As I recall most of the tools stayed in use until the 60's or 70's with the water power, then the shop fell into disuse, and most of the tools were pulled out in the early 80's.

We use to play on all the old drive wheels and swing from the leather drive belts.... the new owners tore the barn down, in the early 90's, with the entire water wheel system still in it.... such a shame, what I wouldn't give to get my hands on some of that stuff now... nice find!