PDA

View Full Version : In DC, where for tools?

Eric Hartunian
03-10-2009, 6:52 AM
Hey all, Uncle Sam has me in the DC area the rest of the month. Any good spots to check out for old tools?
Eric

David Keller NC
03-10-2009, 9:02 AM
Yeah. Go talk to Lee Richmond at The Best Things. His website is www.thebestthings.com (http://www.thebestthings.com), and he's in Herndon, VA - just outside of DC. Most of his customers (me included) buy based on his descriptions and photographs, but you've the luxury of dropping by his place and putting your hands on the tools.

Robert Parrish
03-10-2009, 9:04 AM
W.S.Jenks, they use to be on 7th street NE

Mark Maleski
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Hey all, Uncle Sam has me in the DC area the rest of the month. Any good spots to check out for old tools?
Eric

Hey Eric, welcome to the area. One great option for you is the Potomac Antique Tools and Industry Association (Patina) tool sale. Unfortunately the PATINA website doesn't have current info, but I saw a reference to a tool sale this Saturday in another thread. I have not yet availed myself of this (monthly?) tool sale but have heard good things.

WRT The Best Things - I have the good fortune of living down the street from their shop. They're not really set up as a storefront, so you can't really go there and browse. If there's something specific you want to see before buying, they can usually hook that up.

Mark

Joe Meazle
03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Last time I was in DC I went to Jenks and they had several NOS Marples Ridgeway chisels with Ash handles. they were not priced but they charged me $10 bucks each YMMV. I should have bought all they had. They had beveld and sash. The bad news is thay only had 1/4" I just bought 1 of each. There may be some other goodies in there but you will have to look hard.

joe

Tony Zaffuto
03-10-2009, 12:37 PM
You're in luck! This Saturday, 3/14, is the annual Patina tool sale and auction in Damascus, MD which is twentymile north of DC. Plenty of Galoots and many, many good deals. Tailgating starts before dawn and the tool sale starts at 9:00 AM. Auction, IIRC, is after lunch. Google Patina for details.

T.Z.

Eric Hartunian
03-10-2009, 2:41 PM
Thanks, guys. What luck, a tool sale when I am in town!

Eric